Chapter 19

I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a building. My head was absolutely throbbing in pain. I was back at the docks, Maya kept looking at the setting sun and the pathway that lead here. She kept making ticking sounds with her tongue as she did so. I groaned from the pain. "You'd better hope that Nya shows up alone." She sneered as she kicked me in the ribs.

"They won't trade her for me..." I wheezed as I got winded. My chest still stung from the cut, I couldn't tell if it had gotten worse or not.

"They'll agree to my terms, because if they don't guess who's going to be sleeping with the fishes?" She laughed as I looked at the water as someone came walking up the path. They were too far away for me to actually tell who it was. "Finally, you took forever making your decision." Maya looked at them to me and back again.

"You son of a. . . " I half cursed.

"Shut your trap!" Maya snapped knocking me closer to edge of the platform. The grey blob finally came into focus. Nya walked closer to Maya, her expression unreadable. "It's nearly sundown, Nya. Have you made your choice?"

"Yes." Nya answered looking at me sighing sadly. "But I have a request before we leave. . ."

"Go on." Maya insisted.

"Can I show you around Ninjago first?" She asked as I twigged what Nya was trying to do. Of course, Maya found this suspicious. She's trying to get Maya to leave me on my own. I smiled as I figured the others weren't far behind.

"Why?" She questioned giving Nya a very questionable look.

"I want to spend some time with my mother and make some memories here before I leave forever." Nya answered keeping her eyes on the queen. Maya grabbed my arm and dangled me over the ocean. 

"What in the name of the First Spinjitzu Master!?" I cursed my joy turning into horror as I stared at the ocean. Is she going to drown me?! Oh Serpentine! What did I do to deserve this?! I moaned to myself as Maya made her threat.

"If this is some kind of trick. . ." Maya warned as Nya clarified it wasn't. Please buy the story! Please buy it! I prayed silently as Maya reluctantly dropped me back on the platform. "Alright. Where to first?" She asked as she walked away from me and down the platform with Nya.

"I was thinking Mega Monster Amusement Park?" Nya suggested as she grabbed the queen's arm and lead her away.

Once they were out of sight, I tried to burn the rope away but that sword must've been covered in more of that liquid Vengestone. I raged in frustration. "If I ever get my hands on that sword, I'm going to drop it the first volcano I find!" I was about to give up when Lloyd and Zane jumped down in front of me.

"Are you alright, Kai?" Zane asked as they both helped me sit upright.

"I think so." I answered as pain shot through my chest making me grimace as I clenched my teeth together. Zane untied me and Lloyd crouched by me.

"We're gonna get you out of here." Lloyd told me resting a hand on my left shoulder. 

"What about Nya?" I asked as I strained my voice.

"Cole and Jay are following at a distance, ready to jump in and help if necessary." Zane clarified as he produced bandages and started treating my reopened wound and Lloyd cleaned the small scrape on the left side of my head.

"Can you stand?" Lloyd asked getting up and offering a hand down. I grasped it tightly as he pulled me up. My legs shook unsteadily under my body weight. Lloyd had already draped my right arm across his shoulders. He gripped my arm with one hand, wrapping his free arm around my back holding my bad side. "We need to get you back to the hospital." He said as we slowly made a move.

"What about Maya?" I questioned looking at Lloyd and Zane. I probably looked as weak as I felt. My energy levels wavering as I struggled keeping myself awake. 

"Don't worry about her. We need you to make this dim flame burning a lot brighter and healthier before you can get back out there and fight." Lloyd responded looking at me with hope. 

"Did you put that deliberately?" I laughed, noticing the fire reference in that whole 'get better' speech.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Lloyd answered a cheeky grin spread across his face as we laughed. Zane went on ahead and his elemental dragon appeared.

"It'd be quicker to fly than walk to the hospital." Zane said as he helped me up then Lloyd jumped on behind me. The dragon took off as I held on to Zane's shoulders and Lloyd wrapped his arms around my chest interlocking his fingers around the front. He rubbed his head against the side of my neck. We made it after about 10 minutes of flying. Lloyd and Zane were the first to dismount the dragon. Lloyd spread his arms as I slid off, he ducked under my right arm like before and we hobbled inside. 

"I guess I'll see you guys when you next visit." I said as the doctor opened the door, Zane and Lloyd helped me get onto the bed again. "I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record saying this, but keep me in the loop." I looked at them as they nodded.

"We'll visit often with updates on the situation." Zane promised.

"Go save the day." I cheered weakly as they said goodbye and left the room.

"Let's take a look at that scrape of yours and how may I ask did you get one on your head Mr. Smith?" The doctor asked as I shrugged the door clicked shut behind her. She undid the bandages around my chest to get a proper look at it. It didn't look as bad as it felt, and that's saying something. The doctor pulled out a damp cloth. "This might sting a little." She warned as she started to clean the cuts. I didn't complain about the pain, I was very grateful that the staff here were really nice. She got some fresh bandages out and fixed me up as well as plaster for the narrow cut on my face. "There you go." She smiled as she finished.

"Thank you." I managed to say.

"Don't worry about it." She said as she got me a glass of water and placed it on the table. "If there is nothing else you need, I'll leave you be." She offered politely.

"I think I'm good." I answered as the doctor left the door clicking shut behind her. I reached for the drink and gulped some of it down. My throat didn't feel as rough as it did before. I placed it down before lying back on the bed. Letting my head sink into the pillow, I kept thinking about the others. You need to make this dim flame burn a lot brighter if you want to get back out there and fight. Lloyd's voice rang in my head. He's right, I'm of no use to the team if I can't recover from this pesky cut. After clearing my head, I was finally able to drift off to sleep, thinking about how Jay, Cole and Nya were faring.