Chapter 9

". . . Okay, that explains that." I said looking back at Nya thoughtfully, remembering that I was still underwater and had a fish tail. I guess I got lost in Nya's story that I thought I could see it all happening. "So what happened to our dad's ring?"

"I don't know." Nya answered looking as curious as I felt. "Mother never told me, I presume she swapped it for a different shell ring with no magical properties."

"Did Maya teach you magic like her mother taught her?" I cocked my head to the side as I asked. 

"Yes." Nya nodded  "Although she doesn't like to admit it, my mother acts a lot like her mother, from what I've heard about Grandma Celiea."

"Sounds like it." I agreed swishing my tail impatiently. "So when do we get to the part when you explain why I don't remember you or our parents?"

Nya smiled. "That is a story for tomorrow." She responded as she swam away from the bed and towards the door. "You should probably get some rest."

I moaned like a kid whose parents have just told them it's bedtime. "Fine, but if I'm going to sleep in this room, I'd rather fall asleep in human form."

Nya nodded as she made the entire room a bubble air-pocket. There was no way that I'm falling asleep a mer-man. I told myself as Nya said goodnight.

"'Night!" I called as she shut the door behind her. I thought about being human again and the necklace obliged my silent request. I walked to the chest of drawers and pulled out some pyjamas.

After changing, I folded my ninja gear (double checking that my earpiece was still there) and hid it under the bed before sliding into bed. I thought about the other and what they'd be doing right about now. I sighed wondering if I'd see them soon.

I couldn't stop thinking about them. Especially our Green Ninja. You see. . . I might. . . kinda. . . like him. I think! I have never ever felt anything like I do when I'm around Lloyd. Not only does my heart flutter whether I'm just hanging out with him or chilling, I can't help but get lost in this unknown feeling. I've never felt love for another person. . . Before you even think about it, Skylor doesn't count! She's just a friend, even if she is really nice and cute in her own way. Besides, I'm not worthy of being his friend let alone something more.

Why am I even talking to you about this?! I'm such an idiot! I let my head sink into my pillow and allowed myself to slowly drift off to sleep. This time, my nightmare was a lot different...

 An hour ago, back at the monastery, inside the control room...

Everyone was busy working on their various assignments. Lloyd and Cole were busy gathering more intel on the mystery city, while Zane and Jay were working on some sort of submarine to actually travel down there and get him out of there.

"How's it going gathering more info on this mystery place?" Jay asked looking up from working on a turbine to look at Lloyd.

"We picked up some chatter in another room earlier." Lloyd answered turning away from the monitor to look at the progress that Zane and Jay have made on the submarine. 

"We used the enhanced hearing feature to identify that one of the voices was Kai's and the others was unrecognisable." Cole summed up their side side of the task.

"The submarine is looking great so far, guys." Lloyd complimented as he looked at the side of the sub. It was about halfway done.

"It'd go better if this turbine would stop failing." Jay moaned, before exclaiming, "I need some coffee or something to wake me up a bit!"

"And obviously the cockpit is missing." Cole pointed out bluntly, which seemed to tick Jay off even more.

He tested the turbine again, but it ended up exploding in his face. "That's it!" Jay yelled, throwing down the pliers which clattered against the metal flooring. "I'm turning in for the night." He said dramatically as he stormed out of the control room.

"That could've gone better."  Zane said looking to the door as it slammed shut. 

"No kidding." Cole said as he walked over to where Jay was working to see what the problem was with the turbine. "I'll help as much as I can with this end of the submarine."

"That would be much appreciated." Zane agreed as he got back to work.

"I'll keep working on finding some more information about the queen and the princess." Lloyd clarified as he turned back to the console table.

They worked for about half an hour as Cole and Zane started working their way to the front of the submarine while Lloyd found something about the city where Kai was held captive.

"So I found that this city is called Atlantis, but nothing that leads back to the royal family." Lloyd sighed from exhaustion.

"Well, we started working on the front of the submarine and I found what was wrong with the turbine." Cole summed up their progress as he finished the turbine, which had exploded in Jay's face earlier. "The wires were connected wrong, I think that Jay's worried about Kai because Jay can usually make these things work in a blink of an eye."

"I think we all are worried about Kai." Zane pointed out as he worked on the cockpit.

That's an understatement! My best friend. . .  Lloyd said silently, losing himself in the thought. He's had a crush on Kai for a while and never found the right way to actually asking him out. The thought of losing him to the ocean made him panic more than he'd let his teammates notice.  "It's been, what, two days since he was kidnapped and what have we done about it?" He snapped, bringing himself back to the here and now.

"We are doing our best to actually come up with some sort of plan to help him. But we're of no use to Kai if we're all bickering at each other for no reason." Cole looked to Lloyd hoping he'd see what Cole was getting at. 

Lloyd sighed. "Maybe we need to continue this tomorrow after some sleep." He admitted as he hid the fish-bot somewhere before leaving Cole and Zane to work on the sub in peace.

"Looks like it's just us two for now." Zane said as he finished installing the hatch on top.

"Yeah," Cole responded focused on underneath the submarine, welding together the panels. "We could finish the submarine in no time." He said as they worked.

Hours later, the outside of the submarine was done. Cole wiped the sweat from his head as he admired the outside. "I'd say we've done good so far." Cole said through a long yawn. It might only be seven at night but crafting machines tires most people out quickly.

"We should work on the inside tomorrow." Zane suggested, stepping away from his station.

"You're probably right, Zane." Cole agreed as they said good night and went to their rooms, leaving the rest of the work for another day.  They walked through the empty hallways of the monastery, parting ways once they were outside Cole's room. "I'll see you in the morning, Zane." Cole noted as the nindroid nodded, Cole opened his door.

"Good night, Cole. Sweet dreams." Zane said as Cole shuffled into his room, closing the door behind him, leaving Zane to go his room.

Sighing in despair, he pulled on a pair of pyjamas. He couldn't stop thinking about Jay's and Lloyd's reaction earlier. "I know Kai being taken is hard on everyone but Jay's outburst. . ." He mumbled as he recalled the moment. "Does he. . . No, that can't be it." Cole shook his head as he crawled into bed, letting his head rest on the pillow. I hope Kai's okay. . . Was his last thought before his eyelids closed and fell asleep.