Chapter 4

I arrived at the docks at about 4:50 pm. Made it! I hope that the imposter was here too, then I could get some answers. I thought determinedly, looking around as I walked onto the platform. I thought about the others and placed my communicator in my left ear. If I needed them, which I probably don't, this will send out a signal and also works like a tracker in case something happens. I sat on the bench, arms crossed scanning my surroundings. If the mystery person was here, we'll find them. 

"Hey, Kai!"

I turned to my right to find Cole walking towards me with a grin on his face. Not Cole. The imposter! My brain corrected. I smiled at them, "Hey." I responded standing up, letting my arms unfold. "So why'd you want to meet up at the docks, Cole?" I asked. Damn, it was so hard pretending that this random person is my friend, but I have to keep up the act.

"I wanna show you something." They said, leading me towards the end of the platform. 

Panic closed around my chest. I couldn't let my hydrophobia stop me from getting my answers. The fake Cole sat down their legs dangling over the edge into the ocean. I took a silent breath before sitting adjacent him, keeping my legs well away from the water. They looked behind us, probably to make sure no one was there. Hopefully the others were well hidden, otherwise my cover was blown. Then they looked towards the setting sun. 

"Alright, just don't freak out." They warned looking my way. 

"Why would I fr-" I started, but I was cut off as I got tackled into the sea with a splash. Deja vu. I thrashed about, my eyes darting around for that faker. I found them but they reverted back to their original form. She looked more or less the same as on the recording: black hair with blue highlights tied back into a high ponytail; a pale blue shell necklace; a blue wave patterned dress, except that where her dress ended I saw a tail! I tried to swim to the surface, but she grabbed my waist and pulled me down. Crap!!! My chest felt like someone had crushed their fist around it. I needed to keep calm, and hold my breath like my life depends on it... oh wait, it does!!! 

We went down deeper, but that doesn't mean I won't give up without a fight. I wriggled against her impenetrable grip, hitting her with all of my strength. Heck, I even tried using my powers. I tried summoning a flame to my palm, but unlike the dream-realm (where logic doesn't work) this was real, so it was immediately extinguished. I have to buy more time for the others to do something! My mind was racing with unnecessary thoughts. Well, at least my communicator was waterproof.

But I was running out of time. . . My cheeks burned from holding my breath for so long. I tried everything I could to get her off. Nothing worked. My vision started going fuzzy. I wanted to scream! Then there was this loud FA-BOOM! I looked up and saw four figures coming towards me, or was it my imagination? I struggled to break free, but as her gripped loosened slightly, she encased me in a transparent bubble.

  Come on! I gasped for air. Well, at least I can breathe again. I slammed my side into the bubble hoping that it'd burst. But it didn't. I watched my friends, not faring any better than I was. They attacked one after another, trying to throw her off balance. She looked dazed when Jay came forward and shocked her. They all used their elemental powers against her, but it did practically nothing. She  turned her palms upwards, something glowed within them. She did a shoving motion towards my friends and they rocketed towards the surface.

I slammed my fists into the bubble. "You absolute JERK!!" I yelled, whether or not she could hear me was another thing. If I wasn't trapped in this bubble, I might have killed her right there and then! She dipped her head slightly, like she was upset. Pfft. What does SHE have to be upset about?! I was filled with so much rage that I thought I was going to explode! She swam to my transparent prison looking solemn. "I'm sorry about that Kai. . ." She started.

"No you're not!" I shot back giving her a look of absolute hatred.

She looked at me like she knew something I didn't. "You'll understand soon, but you need some rest." She said softly waving her hand in front of my face. 

"What do you mean? I'm not. . . tired" I retorted suddenly feeling very drowsy. I tried to keep myself awake, but I managed to ask my last question. "Who are you?" I asked as my eyelids grew heavier and heavier. "My name is. . ." I didn't catch her name as I went limp, my head resting on the bubble. Then everything went dark. . .

                                 Meanwhile. . .

KA- SPLASH!!! Lloyd, Jay, Cole and Zane burst out of the ocean, landing harshly onto the dock's platform. "Everyone Ok?" Lloyd asked.

  Why did Lloyd ask an obvious question!? Jay thought furiously. "Yeah, we're ok. But what about Kai! He's on his own down there, with no way to find him, probably being torture by that mermaid thing. . ." 

Cole stopped listening after Jay mentioned torture. . . There has to be a way to find him. But what!?  He was thinking so hard, you could probably see the gears turning trying to think of a way to save his friend. Then he twigged. "I think I know how to find him!" Cole declared to the group. That seemed to put some hope back into their spirits.

"How?" Lloyd asked curiously.

"His communicator!" Cole said excitedly. "If he still has his communicator. . ."

"We'll be able to find him." Zane said finishing Cole's sentence. Cole nodded, confident his idea would work.

"It's definitely worth a try." Lloyd agreed.

"Has everyone literally forgotten about how we lost against that thing!" Jay exasperated impatiently. "If this does work and we do find him, how are we supposed to launch a rescue when our powers had no affect on her!"

"We'll think of something." Cole said, "We always think of something. But we need to see if we can actually track him, first." He turned to look at Zane. "Zane, can you run a sweep of Ninjago to see if we can pinpoint Kai's location?"

Zane nodded. "I'll see what I can find. . ." He paused for a moment before finally saying something. "I've found a weak signal, about 25 miles southeast of here."

"That has to be Kai!" Lloyd exclaimed before looking worried again. "But what if it's not him... what if. ."

"Don't think like that." Cole said hesitantly. "Kai is a lot tougher than he looks. He'll be alright..."