Kaeya | Quite An Assumption

"Rather fascinating, don't you think, Lieutenant?"

You blink, realizing that your drink is set against your parted lips; however, you haven't taken a sip out of it yet. Placing it down on the counter, your attention shifts to the male beside you.

Captain Kaeya of the Knights of Favonius. As the Lieutenant, you're his assistant and the one who calls out orders in his place when he isn't around. This role also involves assisting him in patrols, battles, and (of course) drinking.

And it just so happens that he invited you out once more to Angel's Share after a successful day of patrolling in various high alert areas.

"It is a shame you are pondering over other matters as we are sharing some drinks."

You smile and raise your glass to your lips again, keeping one eye on him. "Not at all. What was fascinating, might I ask?"

"The pitiful group of hilichurls all gathered together, dead. Almost as if they're sleeping," he replies, downing the rest of his favorite drink.

"Perhaps an energetic adventurer stumbled upon the area and for some reason, wanted to kill them that way."

"Or perhaps... something more sinister is lurking behind the scenes."

His vague and eerie suspicion causes you to stop drinking midway. Something sinister? The way he's phrasing his words sounds like he knows something, or at the very least has an idea about it.

Then again, your captain has always been a mysterious person overall, carefully choosing his words that makes you wonder what exactly he's even thinking about and what his intentions truly are.

It's not that you don't fully trust him, per se. But he's definitely hiding some secrets behind those slight smirks and relaxed manner.

Kaeya suddenly chuckles and turns to you. "I'm merely kidding. We do have some adventurers who are eager to fulfill their commissions, so your assumption isn't unlikely."

"Right..."

He notices your hesitance and leans over, his gloved fingers loosely holding onto the tenth glass. The liquid sloshes around.

"What? Don't say you were afraid. Surely you aren't wary of me, your dear Captain, now are you?" he teases, amusement laced in his voice.

You simply laugh in response and shake your head, signaling Charles for another refill. His teasing comments and jokes are a daily occurrence, and they are what makes Kaeya, Kaeya. A day without such comments would be odd, that's for sure.

He moves away and adjusts himself in his seat, clearing his throat as he swirls the liquid around.

"The view of the tavern is quite a familiar sight, no?" he asks, gaze focused on his glass.

You raise a brow and flicker your eyes to him. "Of course, we always come here for drinks. Is the scenery getting too boring for you?"

"Boring isn't the term I'd use." He hums in thought and takes a drink. "A change to another exciting place such as Starsnatch Cliff wouldn't be so bad, don't you think?"

Resting your elbow on the table, you put a cheek in your palm and lean into it, turning your head to look at Kaeya. He faces you and smiles.

You curiously ask, "Captain, are you attempting to ask me out?"

The sudden question causes him to suddenly choke on his drink. He pats at his chest, sets his glass down, and clears his throat several times—all while avoiding eye contact.

At this rate, there could very well be a death after noon.

Never once would you ever think to see the navy blue-haired male lose his composure. It's amusing to see him fumbling with the glass, picking it up only to put it down again after some time. Refreshing and cute, even.

"Ah, excuse me. I was slightly taken aback by your... bold assumptions; however..." he trails off and glances at you, "...you are largely correct."

"So, how does a starry night up at Starsnatch Cliff with some fine drinks and delicacies sound to you?" he continues with a lopsided grin.

You tilt your glass toward him and give a closed-eyed smile. "I would be happy to accompany you, so long as the drinks and snacks are free of charge, Captain."

-♡-

Order for @Tealuninin12: a glass of Death After Noon. Being his assistant would involve one too many drinks, haha.

Although I'm not taking requests, I happened to plan the next update to be of the Cavalry Captain himself and magically, a request showed up and well, what excellent timing lol!