Chapter 13

During the whole flight I couldn't stop thinking about the entire trip and the success I have felt after it. I have grown so much as a person, I think. 

I am shocked to think about this entire thing- the maturing aspect of it- because though I realize that I have indeed matured, but I still feel like... well, in a lesser amount of words, me.

Once again, I am going to bring up the whole "epiphany" thing, but it's true. Whenever people have their "epiphanies", they are usually a completely new person and act quite different. But that's not the case with me at all.

Overall, I still am the average, shy, sarcastic girl-next-door. But beyond that, I have become more sure of myself than I ever was before in my life. Coming home is just a new chapter for me. I am now in more control of my life, and I now know what I want and what I need in order to be successful in life. And to me, being successful in life is more than just money and social status and who you marry. It's about the one thing that many people don't have or don't comprehend what it really is- and that is happiness. 

Happiness isn't just a feeling. It's being lucky enough to finally accomplish that complete emotion, including several other things to complete it. Like having things that make you excited to wake up every morning, genuine smiles throughout the day, having a gut feeling about your future, in your mind thinking, "This is right."

There are definitely perks to being happy. Obviously boyfriends and love help you out when considering your current state of happiness. Psychiatry states that everyone has a craving of being wanted and adored, which helps to boost one's self-esteem, sending all these positive horomones  throughout you. Admiration is one of the greatest forms of flattery.

The ride home was long, so I read and slept, though it was hard to not focus on Marcus and our relationship. He said we could be like them Dr. Lewis and her husbend, I mean. And that means a lot, especially since they are married now. Is that what he meant? That we could be married some day? Being together... Forever?

~~~

I stepped off of my plane, excited to tell about my trip to my friends and family. And to call Marcus, of course. 

I came into the airport with my bags, noticing my family within an instant. I come over, smiling big. We hug and then my mother says, "And someone else came to see you."

I looked at her, confused. She pointed and I turned around, half expecting to see Marcus (for the sake of an adorable fairytale ending), but instead I saw someone different.

It wasn't my amazing British boyfriend who just declared his love for me in an airport.

It was Brendan. Standing there. Smiling. Expecting me to leap into his arms or something of that nature. Have a declaration of love and  forgiveness. I don't know. I just made that up, but by the look on his face I could tell he was expecting something.

He was the one thing I least expected... And the one thing I would rather have left behind.