Chapter 17

Nothing could have prepared me for this day. There are no textbooks, no flash cards. No amount of apartment cleanliness or food could make me any less nervous, yet excited at the same time. Today is the day when I have the ability to see the one and only Marcus Butler, my boyfriend whom I missed dearly.

My mom has actually been supportive of the whole thing even though she was definitely a proud supporter of my past relationship with Brendan. I think in her mind it wasn't Brendan versus Marcus or anything like that, I think she just wanted me to not be as lonely as I was before. Which was a nice thought, but she needs to know that I'm an adult now and I am more than capable to find my own boyfriend.

I haven't heard from my dad or my sister because A) my dad is incapable of caring about my love life, B) my dad is incapable of using technology, and C) I have been ignoring my sister and her critical comments.

I arrived at the airport, awaiting Marcus' arrival, my palms becoming a bit sweaty and my stomach tying into knots. I've missed him so much.

I saw a plane from the window landing, knowing it was Marcus' and I jumped out of my seat, gazing out the window, excitement filling me.

I saw the first few passengers exit the plane and I rushed toward the gate exit, a grin overcoming me.

I immediately noticed my 6-foot-tall boyfriend walking hurriedly, looking up and recognizing me. He smiled widely and walked a little bit faster. He walked up to me and hugged me, pulling me close to him, in which I hugged him tightly back, feeling protected in his arms.

A few people grumbled past us and a man who worked with the airline told us sternly, "Please move, you're blocking the exit."

Marcus looked back at him and said, "Oh, sorry mate," moving away from the exit, still holding onto me strongly. I couldn't help but laugh.

He looked at me funny and asked why I laughed.

"Just because you still kept a grip on me as we walked away."

"Well you never know when someone might snatch you up. I've got to protect you from those guys who keep knocking down your door," he said a bit jokingly.

I laughed again and walked out of the airport with him, happy, yet nervous. I know for a fact nobody said anything to Brendan. And after the stunt he pulled, I can tell he's not letting up.

~~~

I drove to my apartment with Marcus as happy as can be. Marcus and I jammed to the radio, screaming the lyrics, having people look at us from other cars. We stopped by a Starbucks for coffee on the way, Marcus wrapping his arm over my shoulders as we walked.

Afterwards, we arrived at my apartment and I saw one of the strangest sights.

It was a bouquet of plastic flowers in front of my door with a card.

Marcus looked at me and I could feel him stiffen beside me.

"Who's that from?" He asked.

I sighed with frustration. I picked up the card and read it, with Marcus reading over my shoulder.

Ali, it said, I give you these flowers to represent our love- they are able to last forever, and even after years, the colors still remain bright. Please give me another chance. You won't regret it.  

-Brendan

"Who's Brendan?" Marcus asked bitterly.

I looked at Marcus with worry and tears forming in my eyes. I never would want my relationship with Marcus to be ruined because of Brendan. The nerve he had to send this! What an asshole.

I was suddenly angry. "Brendan is my ex-boyfriend," I explained to Marcus. I glared at the flowers and picked them up with force, unlocking my apartment door and walking in quickly. Marcus followed me, him becoming more ticked off.

"Ali, why is your ex-boyfriend sending you flowers?" He asked, clearly annoyed.

"Because he can't take a hint," I replied. I opened my window over by the garbage piles on the edge of the building, so I can make an accurate shot. Before Marcus could say anything else, I said, "Marcus, these flowers definitely symbolize my love with Brendan," I picked up the plastic red flowers, tossing them out the window to add to the collecting garbage.

"Fake."

~~~

I explained the entire story to Marcus, him remaining quiet the whole time. He nodded his head in understanding and looked at me with his piercing eyes, never dropping his hypnotizing gaze. I became a bit emotional at the part when I told him why I wasn't planning on telling him- so he wouldn't think any less of me and break up. He rubbed my back slightly and sat a bit closer to me, to reassure me that everything's alright.

When I completed the story, a tear rolled down my cheek and Marcus just held me close, making me burst out crying, thought he allowed my tear-stained face to ruin his comfy cotton t-shirt. He held on even tighter and I finally wrapped my arms around him as well, never wanting to let go.

Eventually, Marcus said, "Ali, I want you to be able to tell me anything. I understand why you didn't want to, but I do trust you. I never would think you would do such a thing."

I sniffled. "Thank you. Marcus."

"Anytime, babe," he replied. "And out of curiosity, when's the next time you plan on seeing this Brendan guy?"

"Never."

"Oh that's too bad."

I gave him a crazy look.

He explained himself by saying, "I wanted to meet him. Shake his hand like everything was okay and I didn't want to punch him in the face or anything, smile, be best mates, you know, the whole bit. The face of someone shitting themselves is literally one of the funniest things I will ever see in my entire life."

I was laughing so hard at his explanation. He smiled and in response said, "I'm glad that made you happy. I hate seeing your beautiful face upset."

"Ha," I replied. "My face? Beautiful? I think you have me mistaken for someone else."

He took my face in his hands and made me look him dead in the eye. 

"No," he said. "You're exactly the girl I was talking about," and to make his point, he kissed me passionately on the lips, making me forget about everything else and for once in a little while, completely blissful.