Chapter 14

"So do I not get a hug either?" Brendan asked jokingly.

I probably looked shocked with a hint of disgust on my face after seeing Brendan. Though we remain friends, that does not mean we are best friends. Best friends are the friends that would come with your family to the airport. Not your ex-boyfriend who you talk to, I don't know, maybe once a month? Due to casual statuses on Facebook that you liked so they know that you know they exist? Maybe a hello tweet? Ha- not even that. That alone would be too much.

"Alison, are you alright?" My mom pulled me back into reality.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

Brendan eventually dropped his arms knowing the attempt was pointless.

We all left the airport after getting the rest of my suitcases from baggage claim and we were all on our way home. I gushed about my travels and I didn't even get to the best part of the story- when I met my boyfriend. Before that could occur, we had to talk about what everyone else was up to and make it more than a one-way conversation. Especially since our "guest" is here.

"Alison, Brendan was telling me about an internship he got into earlier."

"Cool," I said, prepared for this converation to be over with. My excitement to talk diminished as soon as I saw Brendan. 

Everyone could tell I was giving off a "don't talk to me" vibe, but clearly my mom didn't get the hint.

"Brendan, could you explain the internship to me again?"

"Sure," he began his long-winded story. 

UGH, I thought, my story about my trip wouldn't even take this long... And I was away for almost a month!

I zoned out until my mom said, "Wow, isn't that fascinating, Alison?"

"So fascinating," I said sarcastically.

My family gave me the "watch it" look. I crossed my arms like a little kid who didn't get their candy. I am so pissed off.

At this point I think everyone knew I didn't want to talk that much and there was silence in the car for awhile.

I expected for us to drop Brendan off at his house before we drove to our house, but we didn't. He's staying for dinner. 

What kind of cruel joke do they think this is.

Dinner was unbearable, we had to sit at the big dining room table instead of in the kitchen, and nobody really cared about my life or what I did for the past month. I know I sound bratty, but I kind of deserve to be able to tell my own family about it at the very least. 

By the time I was about to stab my eyes with my fork, I decided against it and stood up and said, "I'm going to get more water."

I walked into the kitchen and called Marcus, since I did promise to call him when I arrived.

"Hey Ali," Marcus answered when I called. He had no idea what it was like to hear a voice that wanted to talk to me.

"Hey," I greeted, a wide smile overcoming my face.

"I suspect you came home safely?" he asked.

"Yes, I did. Were you worried?" I asked jokingly.

"Well, you never know what might happen on a plane," he replied. "There might have been a guy with explosive diarrhea, you know?"

I laughed and replied, "Plot twist; the guy with explosive diarrhea was ME!"

He laughed harder and said, "NO! I THOUGHT I COULD TRUST YOU!"