Preface

Wow. This is crazy. I can't believe that I am going to London for a month! I'm going to live there, with many other students from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Ireland. What a diverse community of people I will be surrounded by! It's so exciting that my professor chose me out of many other students in my class to travel and have an amazing experience.  

Sorry. I'm kind of ahead of myself. I am Alison. I am from a suburb of Boston, Massachussetts. I'm a student at Boston University and am studying psychiatry and human bio. Quite nerdy topics, I know, but I can't help it. I always did love to learn and I grew fascination with the human mind and what drove certain people to insanity; you know. Their breaking point.  

So why is this girl from Boston traveling all the way to a different country to be a dork with other dorks from different countries? Well, it's my professor's idea. Dr. Gregory, my professor, recommended me for an internship where I go to London to meet with other psychiatry majors for a month and we spend time not only studying and learning about the human mind and diognostics and whatnot, but we also experience it hands-on. We are observing therapy sessions and going to psych wards to see what to do, and if we would like, actually work as therapists, depending upon the patient.  

Not only do I love the idea of bonding with other geeks, but also the traveling. I always did want to spend some time in England, but I never had a chance to. It's amazing, the culture and history, as well as the connections we can make from the past to now.  

My friends also joke of how I'll fall in love with some Brit and never be seen again, or I'll be caught in some war and have to fight for freedom. I know they are joking, but that doesn't help when you are about to board a plane in a matter of days going to a country you have never been to and know nothing about.  

But there is no time for negative thoughts. I am going to London for a month to do something I truly love and plan on doing the rest of my life!  

If only I knew what to pack.