Chapter 4

I have started to really enjoy life now. Obviously I liked being here, in London, but I am now ecstatic. We are starting to do our own therapy sessions!

I'm no professional (yet) but all of my patients have thanked me at the end and told me what a good job I did. They said if they didn't know I was a student, they wouldn't have known the difference between me and an actual psychiatrist. Words cannot explain how successful and worldly I feel after being here for only a week and a half.

Today I am doing the same thing, heading over to my psychiatrist's office now. Her name is Dr. Lewis and she truly is one of the nicest people I ever met. No wonder she became a therapist. She makes you feel so good, even when you are already happy.

"Good morning, Dr. Lewis," I said when I came in.

"Good morning, Alison, how are you?"

"Good, you?"

"Good as well. So I have some news."

"Okay."

"I think you have done an extravagent job so far and I think you would do well working with all of the patients today."

"All of them? What if some of them don't feel comfortable speaking with me?"

"We will ask beforehand. But other than that, I think you could do it. You are an impressive young woman, Ali."

"Thank you."

I was just observing and working with one or two patients before, but now I could be working with majority, if not, all of the patients. This is amazing!

I worked with a few patients in the morning. Some of them didn't want anyone new, which is understandable, but one woman went off the deep end and was so angry, just the thought alone made her throw a stapler at me.

I love this job.

Nearing the end of the day we had our evening appointments, where the hardcore patients drift off and we have our more normal patients. The ones who have normal routines and habits that you would never suspect goes to therapy. I kind of like those patients a bit better. The over-the-top ones are fascinating, but it's also a "normal" person you have to keep your eyes out for as well. You never know. It's usually those ones who end up doing something even more crazy than the ones who over-do it, since people kind of treat them more loosely.

I was helping out with some deskwork in Dr. Lewis' office and I heard Dr. Lewis speak out to one of her patients who just arrived. I couldn't catch his name, but I know it was a man and he was a regular. She asked the man if he would mind if I worked with him today and he agreed. They both came in, I turned, and this was no man. It was a guy. A pretty cool guy. A guy named Marcus.