Chapter 15

I don't care how Brendan gets home. As long as he doesn't take my car, I don't care. My apartment seems like a strange place after not being here for a month, but I recognize that everything remained in the same place. I have no idea what to do with this anger and frustration, so I decide to run to my bedroom, burning away the unwanted stress through my pumping legs.

Alas, that was not a very long run, but it was a run nonetheless. I leap onto my crisp bed, still crying, gripping for a pillow as a replacement of Marcus. 

Ugh. How could I miss Marcus this much already? Is this the pain of a long-distance relationship? How could everything become this difficult already? Was this a good idea?

The last thing I want to do is worry Marcus. I don't want him to feel like I betrayed him after a day by telling him that another guy (the other guy being my EX-BOYFRIEND) kissed me in a car. 

I could only imagine Marcus' reaction to that. 

That night was a difficult night to say the least. I could barely sleep from my racing thoughts and my phone recieving endless texts and calls from my family and Brendan.

I keep worrying that Marcus is going to find out about this whole thing. I don't want him to think I'm loose or anything, or give him and sort of reason to not trust me, but this situation will never end well. It certainly doesn't take almost four years of psychiatry courses to figure that one out.

Then again, it's not like Brendan knew. Not even my own family knew. How could Brendan have known?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait. Am I seriously making excuses for this guy? Can we get real for just a second? Brendan shouldn't have kissed me. End of story. Brendan is a smart guy from what I remember. He should have easily picked up on these hints I was sending him.

Definitely no excuses.

~~~

I woke up the next morning with tons of unread texts and missed calls. I know I'm in the dog house.

But I don't care, actually. Think of this as my kind of rebellion. I'm rebelling against my family and Brendan for they were certainly up to no good yesterday night. 

I heard a ringtone that one could always distinctly tell right off the bat. "Baby Got Back" by Sir-Mix-A-Lot was blasting from my phone and I knew it was Marcus... Marcus was quite the charmer, if you couldn't tell already.

Back in London, he changed his ringtone on my phone to "Baby Got Back" since all of his fans seem to bring up his butt. The boy did have a pretty big butt. And I cannot lie.

I picked up the phone with a hello and he responded, "Hellooooooo!"

I laughed and he asked, "How did dinner go?"

I groaned. "Don't ask?" he questioned.

"Mmhmmm!" I mumbled in agreement. 

He laughed. After a moment of slience he said, "I miss you, Ali."

"I miss you too," I said immediately, like it was an instinct.

"Finally, some audible words from you," he stated.

"Oh, shut up."

The other line remained quiet and I asked, "Are you there?", thinking the line went dead.

"No, you just told me to shut up."

"You're a clever one, Butler."

"Is that some sort of joke? I'm probably one of the least clever people I know."

"Ah, yes, but you are saying this to a person who completely lacks in cleverness, so you seem like some sort of wizard right now."

"Well stated."

"Why, thank ya," I said in a ghetto connotation.

"Gurl, you are welcome," he replied in a pretty good urban accent.

Once again, laughter erupted from both ends of the line at our attempts.

As the laughing died down, Marcus said, "Ali, I can't wait to see you again. I'm not doing much of anything this month. Could I fly over and visit you?"

A smile spread across my face. "Absolutely. When?"

"How about next week?"

"Really? So soon?" I asked with delight.

"Yeah, sure. I could buy some tickets today."

"That would be amazing!"

"Good, I'm glad I could brighten up your life."

"You have no idea."

"Well, I'll go buy the ticket now. I'll see you in a week."

"See you!"

I hung up the phone with excitement and happiness until I realized the one flaw in the plan.

Brendan.