Chapter Thirty-Four

***Amile Gumede***

I can’t wait to go home. I’m dozing off, and it doesn’t help that everyone is treating me differently, the teachers are treating me differently. If they aren’t bowing and babying me, they are making nasty comments under their breaths if I do something as little as breathing a little too loudly. I can’t make friends, everyone is afraid of me in a sense, I’ve just been miserable here and I miss my old life, my old school. Better the devils I know.
But exams are starting soon so I’ll only be coming here to write and go home. I choose the wrong class to feel sleepy in. This woman proved to not like me the first day I walked into her class.
She teaches me IsiZulu. It hurts that I have to be bullied by a person who should be protecting me because we have the same skin colour. If it were up to her, I wouldn’t be here.
I’m dozing off on my hand, but I startled when she slammed her book on my desk. I opened my eyes and looked at her.
“This is no Zululand. This is my classroom and it’s not a place to sleep. Stand up.” I did as told.
I folded my arms across my chest while she continued with her lesson. This has turned from one of my best subjects to the worst in less that two days.
When the bell rang I was ready to get out of the class, in fact the whole school and just go home and rest. I’m feeling really sleepy.
But she stopped me and said we need to talk. I have nothing to say to her. She made up her mind about me, why should I listen to what she has to say?
“Are you pregnant?” she’s getting on my last nerve.
“Ma’am with all due respect, I don’t think it is your place to be inserting yourself in my private life, in my bedroom with my husband. I don’t think he would be happy to hear that.” Her eyes widened.
“Are you threatening me?”
“I’m not threatening you, but what you are asking me is very personal, it’s not a question you go around asking people. I never did anything to you for you to pick on me like this.” I’m not a disrespectful person, but the way she is talking to me and treating me is very unnecessary.
“I think you should leave my class.” I would love that.
I turned around and walked towards the door.
“I’m changing your teacher, I don’t want you in my class.” Fine by me!
I walked out. Jama is probably waiting for me. I ran into a girl in the corridor, it looks like she was waiting for me.
“My queen.” I stopped her from bowing.
“No, please don’t. My name is Amile.” I’m tired of this.
“She does this to everyone, she picks on you then makes fun of you in front of everyone. No one likes her.” She’s speaking about the teacher.
“She’s too old to be so involved in children’s lives.” I said.
We started walking together.
“You are very beautiful.” How sweet.
“Thank you. You too.” She has a bald head but she rocks it effortlessly.
“Don’t play like that.” She blushes and rubs her head.
“No, seriously, you are beautiful.”
“Thank you.”
“What’s your name?”
“Francis. My parents really did me wrong.” We both laughed.
“Isn’t it a boy name.”
“It’s gender neutral, but my parents insisted that they name me that because I was conceived in France.” Very interesting.
I forget that I am now amongst rich kids who have rich parents that do anything for them. She has probably been around the world and I haven’t even gone our of South Africa.
I can see the husband’s car. I’m not too sure if it’s really his, it could be anyone’s parents. Lord let it not be his car because if it is then he is here, and I’m not ready to see him again. No after what Nkosi told me.
“It was lovely meeting you Francis, hopefully I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said.
She opened her arms for a hug and I gave her.
“I’ll see you tomorrow.” She’s sweet. It feels good to actually have someone to talk to.
It gave it away, the license plate gave him away. I walked up to the car and opened the back seat door. I was utterly shocked to find him in the driver’s seat.
“Come sit in the front with me.” He smiled.
Okay, why am I happy to see him? I put my bag in the back and went to sit with him in the front.
“Good afternoon.” He leaned in to give me a kiss on the cheek.
“Good afternoon.” He said it back.
Oh he smells amazing today! What a pleasant surprise.
“I thought I should get behind the wheel and come fetch my queen. How was school?” Okay, I’m really happy to see him!
“School is okay Bayede. It’s just taking a lot longer for me to adjust.”
“What, are you being bullied?”
“No, not necessarily, but they are treating me differently. Especially the teachers.”
“Must I go see the principal?”
“No Bayede, there is no need. There’s only two weeks left before we leave school.”
“Are you sure MaGumede?”
“Yes I’m sure Bayede.”
“Okay. So I talked to your tutor and he said that you are free this weekend so I can steal you.”
“Steal me?” I laughed.
“Yes, just a young holiday before you start exams.” Is he being for real?
“This weekend?”
“Yes wakwami. We leave tomorrow.” Hha!?
I’m excited, but a whole weekend just the two of us. I don’t know how I feel about that.
“Thank you Bayede.”
“So you need to get everything you might need today.”
“Like now?” I asked.
“Yes. Are you hungry?” yes I am.
“Yes.”
“What would you like to eat mama?” I’m allowed to blush right? He is my husband after all.
“Anything is fine.”
“Angiyazi mina iAnything.” I laughed.
“Okay, Nandos.” He shook his head.
“Shuthi vele ubuyifuna.” I laughed.
He’s actually not so bad to be around. I just can’t bring myself to believing that this is the same man the put Nkosi through childhood trauma.
I just keep looking at him to find that mean side, it’s not there. Even when we sat at the table and they almost bit each other’s head off, all I could see on his face was pure love and concern for his brothers health. It’s not because I don’t believe Nkosi, no one ever makes up such, but I just don’t see it.
^
^
^
I got my Nandos and we went shopping. It was just the two of us, the eyes were piercing through our skins, but we ignored them all the way. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it.
He gave me a hint and said we would be in a place with bodies of water. My first thought was beach wear, so that’s what I got. Shame man, he was just tagging along behind me as I hopped from store to store looking for everything I needed. It didn’t seem like he hated it though, he even gave an opinion when I couldn’t decided, not that I listened to his advice, he has a terrible sense of style.
I think he’s also colour blind, every colour to him is either black, white or blue. But anyways, he’s my sugar daddy, and I get spoils so I don’t mind!
We are going back to Nkosi’s place. The fact that we have to sleep in his bed again, the same bed that we did the nasty on just a few days ago, it’s traumatizing.
He’s helping me with my shopping bags. I think he forgets that he’s a king sometimes and that he hired people to do all these things for him. But everyone deserves a sense of normalcy I’m their lives, I guess that is what he seeks. Imagine not knowing what it’s like going to the mall, or anywhere in public without people staring at you all the time. We will be lucky if we don’t end up on those shady Instagram and Twitter pages that track influential people.
Both Nkosi and Jama are home, they are watching soccer in the lounge. I only greet them in passing and get the rest of the shopping bags to take them upstairs. I’m avoiding eye contact with Nkosi as much as I can. He’s doing the same. We have been staying out of each other’s way as much as possible. The good thing is he isn’t drinking like a fish anymore.
I’m full, but I have to cook for these men, so I change into some comfortable clothes and head straight to the kitchen. The husband has already joined the boys in the lounge and they are all making noise. I didn’t know the husband likes sport, he looks like he’s only focused on business and royal affairs.
I made rice and lamb curry. I wasn’t feeling creative, they will have to eat it. At least I made some veggies and salads. I set the table and went to the lounge. They were still glued to the game.
“I’m sorry to disturb, but dinner is ready.” None of them answered me.
I walked out the lounge. The can’t say I didn’t call them. I went to sit alone at the table and dished up for myself. I had their water prepared at everything. Only when I sat down to start eating, did the husband walked in.
“Hawu MaGumede, asikuzwanga, siyaxolisa.” I stood up when he sat down. I came to give him the bowl to wash his hands.
“Thank you wakwami.”
I served his food. The other two came in and joined at the table. They apologized for not coming earlier. I don’t care.
I ate my food in silence while they continued to discuss their soccer match. At least they have something in common as brothers, they are actually getting along. It feels good to see them getting along, I always see them fighting or not talking at all.
I finished my food and left the table. I’m tired, I’ll ask Sis’ Melo to do the dishes for me.
“Wakwami, I’m not staying over for the night, are you going with me to staying behind?” I’m relieved!
“I’ll stay behind Bayede so I can prepare for tomorrow.”
“No its fine wakwami. I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”
“Okay Bayede.”
“Will you see me out?” he gave me those pleading eyes. I couldn’t say no.
I followed him out. He bid his farewell to his brother and the look Mandlenkosi gave, it could’ve easily sent me to the grave. I looked away and followed my husband out the door.
“Must I pick you up from school like today?” I’m not going to sugarcoat it, today was fun, I enjoyed being with him.
“Yes please.”
“I’ll do just that MaGumede. Thank you for dinner, you are a really great cook.”
“Thank you Bayede.” I wonder where Mgabadeli is.
“You have a good night ke wakwami.”
“You to Bayede.”
He pulled me in and gave me a hug. It was a friendly warm hug.
He climbs into the car and I watch him drive off. I’m looking forward to this weekend. We had a good day today, although we aren’t good at holding a conversation because it gets awkward sometimes, but I’ll get used to it. I have no choice but to get used to it.
^
^
^
I bought underwear, night dresses and pyjamas today. I also bought a bikini. There is a low chance that I wear it though, I can’t be showing off my body in public like I used to. Nkosi opened the door and walked in. What happened to basic manners like knocking?
“Where are you going?” I raised my eyebrow at him.
“You didn’t knock Mandlenkosi.”
“This is my room.” He said cockily, closing the door behind him.
“Then I’ll gladly move out of it you will not respect me.” He frowned.
“What’s wrong with you?” he asked moving my clothes off the bed to sit.
“You didn’t knock. What if I was indecent.”
“There is nothing on that body under the clothes and under the skin I don’t know.”
“I am your brothers wife, you have to respect me as one.” He laughed.
“It’s too late for you to say that, not after you let me in.”
“And so you are going to use that against me?”
“You confessed your love to me Amile, through those moans, the way you held me. I know you love me.”
“That was a moment of weakness and you know it.”
“And I enjoyed every minute of it.” He got off the bed and walked towards me.
“I know you did too.” I moved back.
“Get out Mandlenkosi.”
“You may give it to him every night, but your heart it belongs to me, and you know that with your heart and soul.”
I’m pressed against the wall and he’s leaning up against my body. He stares at me deeply in the eyes. I won’t fold, not today. I pushed him back. He gave me a questioning look.
“Leave Mandlenkosi or I’ll leave.” I don’t know what he was expecting.
“Are you serious?” I laughed.
“You think I’m joking? What happened the other day wasn’t supposed to happen, it was a mistake, something that will never ever happen again Mandlenkosi. I’m telling you once and not again, get out.”
I'm just as shocked as he is at the ability to raise my voice like that, but he knows better than to protest when I’ve put my foot down.
With his tail in between his legs, he left the room, leaving me with my heart racing. The Lord must forgive me.