Chapter 3- A Cappella Boot Camp

~Skylar's POV~

The sound of my alarm woke me up at 7:00 AM, just like how I had set it the night before. The alarm was the most excruciating sound I had ever heard, a combination of beeping and clicking. The more it went off, the louder it got. I lifted up my arm and felt around for the snooze button, knocking a notepad and pen over. 

I finally found the button and all was peaceful again...at least until Ben shook my leg, telling me to get up. I mumbled something that might have sounded like, "I don't want to." 

"Skylar, you have to get up. It's boot camp time!"

Oh God, why did he have to remind me? Today is our first day of A Cappella Boot Camp. If we were going to play a cappella singers, we couldn't just half-ass it. We had to be amazing. 

A Cappella Boot Camp, in a way, was my first step in this amazing journey. For the next four weeks, the whole cast would be practicing and perfecting our singing and choreography. We would do it everyday, starting at 8:00 AM and going on till noon for a lunch break. Then we would continue at 1:00 PM and go until 4. It reminded me of play practice, only not quite as tiring. 

Just a few more minutes, I thought to myself. But before I could fall back asleep, Ben shook my leg a second time, destroying any chances of sleeping again. 

~Ben's POV~

Although I wanted Skylar to wake up in time for boot camp, I was also shaking his leg just so I could have an excuse to touch him, even though he was under a blanket. I'm still trying to figure out if that's petty, weird, caring or all three.

Once Skylar was out of bed, it didn't take him very long to get ready. I had already been up for an hour and was dressed and ready to go.

Sharing a bed with Skylar Astin is not something you get to do often; when I got up I took a couple of seconds just to look at him sleeping, reminding myself that I was not dreaming. Is that weird too, watching someone sleep? I told myself I wouldn't do it again in case he woke up and saw me watching him. I did not want him to request a new roommate. 

When Skylar finally finished getting ready (he wore shorts and a sinfully tight t-shirt) we left the hotel for a local performing arts center in downtown Baton Rouge. We would learn our songs and choreography there, and then record our songs for the soundtrack in the music studio next door.

Skylar and I were the first ones to arrive. The studio held many chairs and music stands. There were mirrors on all the walls and a piano in the corner.  One-by-one, other members of the cast showed up. Anna Camp and Brittany Snow came just a little after us. Adam Devine showed up later along with Anna Kendrick and Ester Dean. Rebel Wilson was the only one who was a little late.

"Sorry about that guys," she said in her Australian accent. "The continental breakfast was calling my name."

~Skylar's POV~ 

An hour into boot camp, I wouldn't say it was boot camp-ish at all. We had just gone over the basics of singing: scales, harmonizing, etc. It was actually pretty easy. Rehearsing music came naturally from my experiecne on Broadway and I felt pretty confident while singing my solos. Everyone was really supportive of eachother (especially Ben). 

I was really surprised at how talented everyone was too. Ester Dean was the only professional singer among us. I was blown away when Anna Kendrick ran through "Cups" and when Brittany Snow did "Just The Way You Are".  

Yes, everything was going easily...until we got to choreography. 

Jesus, I don't think I've ever been so worn out in my life. Those a cappella groups have some tough moves. Sure, I danced a lot for Rent but there was something different about these moves. While Rent moves are slowly paced with a couple fast actions thrown in, a capella moves are quickly paced all the time

I looked over at Ben, who was trying to stay in step as much as I was. Ben however, had it a little easier: his character only dances in one song, the Trebles Finals. But that also means that he doesn't get to sing as much, which makes me feel a little bad for him. 

When the clock finally struck 4, I felt very blessed. Practice was over, and I could finally head back to our room and rest. But before we made it out the door, our scary-looking choreography instructor, Cindy, strongly urged us to work out at the hotel's gym to help us get in shape for practice.

"Just keep this in mind," Cindy warned us, "I will know which ones worked out and which ones didn't."

"Yeah, and we all know that your probably a lesbian," Rebel Wilson said under her breath. 

~Ben's POV~

Feeling extremely threatened, Skylar and I decided to go to the hotel's fitness room, just in case Cindy could tell. We were the only ones in the cast (and in the whole hotel) that were in there. Neither of us was a real expert at working out, even though Skylar had a much better build than I did. 

We started with lifting. Skylar picked up the 25-pound dumbells while I opted for much lighter ones. He could only do a couple of lifts with them before we almost dropped them, which made us both laugh. There was something about his smile; it was sexy and cute and just plain real. There were so many fake people in Hollywood but this guy was not one of them.

A part of me really wanted to tell him about my real feelings for him, but I knew he would just run away if I did.

When 30 minutes passed by, we were both sweating a lot. We were running on the treadmills, huffing and puffing with each step. Skylar stopped his treadmill and I followed. 

"Wow, I am done," Skylar said, panting like a dog. "I'm gonna head upstairs to the room."

"Ok," I said back. "I'm gonna keep doing this for a little bit longer."

Skylar left the fitness room and I turned my treadmill back on. I figured I could use more gym time than Skylar. As I jogged, I thought of the fun day I had with Skylar and the more fun days to come. I hoped it would never end.

Ten minutes later, I gave up and headed back upstairs to the room. I had had enough exercise for one day.

I opened the door...to find Skylar walking out of the bathroom, dripping wet, wearing nothing but a towel. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. 

"Oh!"

Skylar turned around, the towel almost coming undone before he could catch it. "Jesus, Ben!" he said, trying to hide.

I knew Skylar was hot, but I had no clue he looked this good. A part of me wished it was illegal for him to wear clothing. I snapped out of my little trance.

"Skylar, I am SO sorry!"

"Ben, close the door!"

"Oh yeah, I just remembered that I had this thing to do....downstairs!" I ran out of the room, slamming the door behind me. I made it to the end of the hall and stopped. A few people were looking outside of their doors, wondering what all the noise was. If only they knew.

Damn, I thought to myself, why didn't I get a picture of that?

To be continued... ;)