Chapter 25- Endings Are The Best Part

24 HOURS UNTIL THE PITCH PERFECT PREMIERE 

~Ben's POV~

Some people say that gay guys are very fashionable. Those people never met me. 

We were only a day away from the Pitch Perfect premiere, and I had to pick out an outfit. The store I was in was full of suits that all kind of looked the same. I wanted to just go with the standard tuxedo, but Adam Devine and Utkarsh Ambudkar, who accompanied me in the trip, said that was way too cliche. 

"You have to go with something original," Utkarsh advised. "You have to pick something that will turn heads. Unkown actors like us need that kind of attention."  

"Yeah, and the guy who looks the best has better chances of hooking up with girls," Adam added. 

I hesitated. "That's not really the demographic I'm interested in."

Adam turned to Utkarsh and I. "Well, I mean, it works for guys too." Adam started looking at a rack filled with brightly colored suits. He looked like he had had a realization. He turned back to us again. "Wait, Ben doesn't even have to worry about that. He has Skylar."

Silence fell over our section of the store. We were the only ones in that corner. Utkarsh shook his head.

"What?" Adam asked.

"Did you seriosly not know?" Utkarsh asked back. Utkarsh looked at me for approval to tell Adam. I nodded. "Skylar and Ben broke up six months ago." 

Adam's eyes widened. "What? Are you serious?" He threw his hands up. "Nobody tells me anything around here!" 

"Sorry about that," I spoke up. "But it doesn't matter. Skylar and I are still friends. We talk."

"I thought you said you hadn't spoken to him since the break-up," Utkarsh said. 

"No, we've been texting," I assured. 

"Well, that's good," Adam said. "Because if you guys hadn't spoken for six months, that would've made for one awkward premiere."  

The three of us continued to search for outfits. I wasn't technically lying when I said that Skylar and were texting; we just hadn't done a lot of it. After watching the rest of the interview of Skylar coming out, I knew I had to talk to him. I was so proud of him. Somehow I knew that the "special someone" he was talking about was me. 

To know that he had been thinking about me for the past six months was the only excuse I needed to fix things with him. 

I knew that texting him was risky; that "special someone" could've been any other guy. It could've been someone who didn't accuse him of outlandish things and started pointless fights. It could've been someone who picked Skylar up off his feet after the roller coaster ride that was our relationship.

It could've been someone who was just plain better than me. 

Mustering up all the courage I had, I sent Skylar a text that read "I really miss you". I didn't hear back from him for a couple minutes, which was sickening. Eventually, he texted back, saying "I really miss you too".

It was good to hear that from him, but the ball was back in my court; what was I supposed to say back? 

I texted back, "What should we do?" Again, Skylar took his time answering back. I wondered if he was really figuring out what to say or was torturing me on purpose. 

My phone lit up with another message from Skylar. It read, "I don't know". 

That was a week ago. I didn't text Skylar back because I didn't know how to respond. I told myself I was going to continue our conversation, but I kept putting it off. Now, there was only a day left until the premiere. I no longer had the courage to talk to him after blowing him off for an entire week.