Chapter 24- Coming Out

ONE WEEK BEFORE THE PITCH PERFECT PREMIERE 

~Skylar's POV~

It had only been a week since I came out of the closet, and the reaction was huge (and mostly positive). What I had done during my interview wasn't groundbreaking, but it did catch a lot of people's attention. 

With the power of social media, I recieved of a lot of support from fans. The messages I got ranged from celebrities congratulating me, to regular teenagers who felt inspired by me. But of course, there were some negative comments as well; most of them were from straight girls who felt like I had "tricked" them for so many years.

Some people didn't even consider it to be news. A guy who was on Broadway is gay? Tell me something I don't know. I wanted to contradict those statements, but it was an unfortunately true stereotype. The old Skylar would've shuddered at the negative comments, but something had changed in me: I didn't care what other people thought. 

Even though I revealed something life-changing, I didn't black out when I was saying it. In fact, I was pretty casual, like it wasn't even a big deal. I remembered the interview like it was yesterday...

(A/N): Flashback time!

Anna Camp and I, along with most of the Pitch Perfect cast, were facing a long day of interviews. We were scheduled to do a lot of them with a variety of tv shows and Youtube channels. Due to scheduling conflicts, Ben wasn't able to make it, which really bummed me out. 

Ben and I hadn't spoken to eachother in six months. The last words I said to him were, "I'm done," after our huge fight. Another one of his misunderstandings had finally sent me over the edge. Looking back on it afterward, I couldn't believe how stupid I was to throw everything away. 

Ben had seemed so mad at me that I was sure he was glad it was over. Not a day went by where I didn't think of Ben. I was so embarrassed of what he thought about me that I never bothered to call him. And since Ben didn't try to contact me either, I fiigured he didn't want to see me. 

Going into the interview, I knew it would be a good chance for me to prove myself to him. I wanted Ben to know that he never left my thoughts. 

"Hello, my name is Rachel Alexander" the interviewer said. She was sitting opposite to me and Anna Camp. "And I am sitting with the lovely Anna Camp and Skylar Astin from the upcoming movie, Pitch Perfect."

 "Thanks for having us," I said back. 

"Now, I have to say this," Rachel started. "I absolutely loved this movie. The entire cast was so talented; you guys are fantastic singers but are also hilarious at the same time. How do you feel about the positive reception the film has been getting?"

"It's been pretty surreal," Anna answered. "I think this is the first time most of us in the cast--minus Anna Kendrick, of course--have been a part of something this huge. We're loving every second of it." Anna turned to me so I could add to the answer.

"Yeah, I agree," I said. "I think people like this movie because it appeals to so many ages. We've got plenty of modern music that teenagers will really like, but we also have some 80's hits that the parents can enjoy too." I paused for a second. "And as a bonus, we have the very beautiful Anna Camp to bring in the male demographic."

"Oh, stop!" Anna laughed. Being gay didn't mean I couldn't be flirty with girls. Plus, the movie would be more believable if people saw that the cast got along with eachother.

"So what were your favorite aca-words in the movie?" Rachel asked. "My personal favorite was 'aca-bitches'."

"I would say that my favorite was 'aca-scuse me'," I said. "I think that one really defines the movie."