False Reassurances

A/N: Welcome to the start of Chapter 3! Y'all know what that means! Twice the tears >:)

"Good morning everyone! It is now 8 a.m. and nighttime is officially over! Time to rise and shine! Get ready to greet another beautiful day!"

"Ugh..." Why do they have to wake us up at 8 a.m.?! I just watched someone die for fucks sake let me sleep some more!

I rub my head and get up to go get changed. I slip into my miraculously fresh clothes. Those monokubs must wash them every morning. I pull my hair back and apply my foundation that perfectly matches my skin color. It's scary how much Mikukuma seems to know about me. I brush through my hair, tie it up, curl it, and finish it off with hairspray.

I take a deep breath before opening the door. Just don't think about it. Just try to forget. Just enjoy your breakfast, socialize, and pray to God you aren't next. Though, I guess what's the point of staying alive anymore now that- NO! No no! You have Kanade! You have Kohane! You have Rui! Think about them. Don't think about her.

"Why were you messing with the trial?"

"Hm? I wasn't."

"Yes you were! You accused Honami out of nowhere with no proof!"

I take it back. I'd like to go back into the comfort of my room where it's safe.

"Saki!" Honami tries to stop the fight.

I make eye contact with Kohane who's standing in her doorway across the hall. I guess she wants to leave but doesn't want to interfere.

Ugh. I guess I have to do something. I kinda feel like Mafuyu is my responsibility anyway being one of her friends.

"Guys," Mafuyu, Saki, and Honami turn to look at me, "What's going on?"

"I'm just telling Mafuyu off for treating Hona so horribly!" Saki tells me.

"And I told you it's fine!" Honami tells Saki.

"Don't you think you should respect what Honami wants?" I ask her.

"Fine," Saki grabs Honami and walks away.

"Are you okay?" I ask Mafuyu.

She just shrugs and continues on her way to breakfast. Wow, not even a thank you! At least I know she's eating.

I glance at Kohane who's making her way over to me, "Thanks."

I smile at her, "It's no problem! Do you wanna get breakfast together?"

She nods and follows me to the cafe.

We each grab a plate of french toast prepared by Mikukuma and the Monokubs and take a seat.

"So..." I start, "How are you holding up?"

"I- Not well," She answers.

"Ah, I'm not doing the best either, if I'm being completely honest. Do you... wanna talk about it?"

"Well... I... What Shizuku said is really getting to me, I guess. I want to believe she was wrong but... I don't think she was. She said that... t-that she didn't have a target..." tears start pouring from Kohane's eyes, "That she only chose An because I left the door open. If I had just closed it... then- then Shizuku would've met me in the bathroom and I would be the one dead right now! But I put An's life at jeopardy by leaving it open."

"Kohane..." I try to comfort her by pulling her into a hug.

"I just can't help but feel like I should be the one who's dead..." Kohane whispers.

I get it. I definitely felt that way when Ena died. Kohane's case is worse though. I can't deny her actions did indirectly cause An's death.

"Hey, it's okay. You didn't know," I tell her trying to hold back my own tears, "I miss her too. It'll be okay."

Kohane pulls back to look at me, "You think so?"

I force a smile to my face, "I'm sure."

No, I'm not.

"Thank you, Akiyama."

"No problem," I smile.

We continue our meal in silence. I'd like to say comfortable silence, I think it's comfortable for Kohane, at least, but I can't stop thinking. Was it right to reassure Kohane of something I don't even believe myself? On one hand, it made her feel better, a lot better, I can tell. On the other, when the inevitable death comes, what if it's someone she's close to? What if it's Akito or Toya? What if it's me? I can only think of how in that situation I may have caused more damage than help.

"Everyone!!! I have an announcement to make!"