Why

"..."

Silence fills the ancient trial room.

No dares to speak.

No one wants to speak.

"I didn't mean to..."

We all turn to look at the one who spoke.

"I DIDN'T WANT TO KILL HER!" Airi yells, "It was a mistake..."

"What happened, Airi?" Shizuku asks gently.

"Ena, she- she was so nice to me!" Airi bursts into tears, "She went out of her way to make me happy and stayed with me the whole time. Then she brought me a vase of my favorite flowers. It made me so happy!" Airi cries even harder, "Ena, she gave me a big hug but then..." She pauses before starting again, "A thought went through my head and without thinking I acted on it. I suddenly thought this position would be perfect to kill her. The vase was right there... and Ena's back was wide open. She had no defenses. And I thought that it was a perfect opportunity to get out of here. But I... I DIDN'T WANT TO!" Airi falls to the floor and bawls her eyes out.

"I REGRET MY ACTIONS SO MUCH! AND SHE'S GONE FOREVER BECAUSE OF ME! JUST EXECUTE ME ALREADY! PLEASE! I never wanted this... I- Just end it."

"..."

"Say something... TELL ME YOU HATE ME! TELL ME HOW MUCH I DESERVE TO BE EXECUTED! Just say something... Anything..." Airi yells.

"We don't hate you, Airi," Shizuku says.

"What?" Airi looks up at her.

"We don't hate you, Airi," Haruka repeats, "I mean, you did an absolutely awful thing and I don't know if I could ever truly forgive you, but I think the one who hates you most right now... is yourself."

"Huh?" Airi asks.

"I don't think you deserve to be executed. You're suffering enough," Haruka tells her.

"Speak for yourselves," A voice comes from across the room.

We all turn to look at him.

"You murdered my sister! I don't care how sorry you are or how much you're suffering already! You killed her so you deserve to go down too!" Akito yells.

"Akito," An tries to talk to him.

"No, don't even. That bitch deserves everything coming to her," Akito says angrily.

"No she doesn't!" Shizuku screams.

"Ah ah ah," Mikukuma speaks up, "That isn't for you to decide. The killer gets executed or everyone but the killer does!" Our podiums creak up a small door on tope to reveal a tablet underneath which flickers on. "It's... VOTING TIME!"

Everyone's face is shown on our screens.

"Go ahead, choose who you think the killer is!" Mikukuma demands.

Akito presses his button first with no hesitation. The rest of us soon follow. I select Airi, of course. As much as I want to agree with Shizuku and Haruka, I can't deny that I feel a hatred for Airi too. Ena was an important friend to me and I can never forgive Airi for taking her from me. More than that though, Mikukuma made it pretty clear what happens if you refuse to vote. Shizuku's the only one who doesn't move.

"Shizuku!" Minori yells, "Snap out of it! If you don't vote for her you'll be executed too!"

Shizuku finally moves and presses the button right before the timer runs out and Minori lets out the breath she was holding.

A big screen comes down and displays the votes. Unsurprisingly, there are 19 votes for Airi.

Everyone, including Airi herself, voted for Airi.

"Look at the despair on all your faces!" Mikukuma cheers, "Akito's heart broken by the death of his sister while Shizuku's despaired over the inevitable death of her good friend! Oh how great it is! Well Airi, anything to say before your death?"

"One. Akito,"

Akito looks surprised to hear that Airi wants to talk to him of all people.

"I'm sorry! So so so sorry! And I know that means nothing to you and I know you hate me so much but... Just, always remember your sister okay? Never forget her! And I hope you make it through this!" Airi cheers him on.

Akito looks more surprised than he's ever been in his life.

He gives a small nod, "You don't need to tell me that."

"Good," Airi responds and smiles at him.

"Well then... let's get started. I have a special punishment prepared for the Ultimate Dancer, Airi Momoi!" Mikukuma cheers.

"Bye everyone," Airi turns to face everyone and small tears escape her eyes yet again.

"Let's give it everything we've got! It's... PUNISHMENT TIME!!!"

"I'll miss you."