It hurts

"I'll miss you."

And with that, a collar spring out of the rusted wall. It rushed toward Airi and wraps around her neck. I can see the discomfort on Airi's face and it tightens, obstructing her breath and quickly yanks her backward into the unknown. The TV that had previously shown the results of our votes begins glitching and flashed to a recording off Airi inhaling heavily for air after being winded so hard.

Wait. Mikukuma, she's going to make us watch it? She's going to make us all see the death of our friend? Why?!

I want so badly to look away. So badly to forget. But I can't. My eyes are glued to the screen and I'm frozen in place.

Quick little switch to Airi's POV for added tears from the readers

What's happening? Where am I? What is this? Why am I not dead yet?

"Airi, you received another request for a variety show appearance. Filming is Saturday."

What?

"What? Isn't that the day of the mini concert?"

No, I remember this. I look around and see a small screen replaying the memory.

I hear another voice behind me.

"To be honest, you just don't stand out enough as an idol. We've decided to phase you out of that line of work."

"Ah, this is..." I start.

Tears feel like they'll come at any moment.

I don't want to be reminded of that.

"Just stop Shizuku. I get it. I'm not blind, you know. I..."

No...

Not this one. Anything but this.

"What do you know, Shizuku?! You've got both looks and talent!"

Why?

"How could you possibly understand someone without your looks, who can't even get others to acknowledge them no matter how hard they try?"

Stop it...

"Everyone praises you as an idol and you barely have to do anything!"

"I SAID STOP IT!!!" I yell.

Another memory pops up.

And another.

And another.

Another

Another

Another

I HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE!

I frantically look around and find a small opening between all the memories displayed.

Yes! A way out.

I run for it and breathe a sigh of relief at being out of there.

"BOO!" I hear someone yell.

Huh?

I feel something hit my face and fall to the floor.

A tomato?

I look up. I crowd of people stands before me.

"BOOO!"

"Worst show ever!"

"I can't believe I wasted my money on this!"

"Huh? No!" I start, "Look! I can dance! I can put on a good performance!"

People throw drinks and food at me from all around.

Paper balls fly though the air. Someone hits me in the face with a banana peel.

"No! STOP!" I yell and suddenly gasp in pain.

Is that a knife? They hate me so much they want to harm me?

The harmless objects suddenly become rocks. Heavy ones. They hurt!

Why?

"Agh!" I yell as someone shoots my leg.

I stop trying to dance and bend down to cover my wound with my hands. Oh what a mistake. It's much easier to hit a still target.

Knives, rocks, metal all thrown at me. The person who shot me even throws their gun. It hurts. Everything hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts...

It hurts...

I t h u r t s . . . . . . . .