Chapter 43

About more than a year later

Pov. Jake Sim*

"Are you nervous yet, Nam?" asked Heeseung to his older sister as he opened the door to the rink. "A little," she murmured, running a hand through her short bob hairdo. "We practiced the choreography a lot, we can do it. The first place will be ours," said Seon, Namra's ex-boyfriend, who was also her new figure skating partner.
"I understand your nervousness, Nam. After all, the whole thing is being broadcast live throughout South Korea here in Busan for the New Year's Eve special. So it's totally normal to be nervous! But be more confident and pay attention to the makeup. Don't let it go to waste," Ms. Jung tried to control her concerns.

Confidence? Namra hasn't had that for a long time, since a certain event...

Together we went into the crowded hall and met many figure skaters from all over South Korea who were warming up or had also just arrived.
Unconsciously, I looked around and searched for someone with my eyes.

Someone very specific.

"Let's check-in," Ms. Jung said, pointing the two skaters in a direction, so Heeseung and I decided to get a good seat in the stands. "'Geez, Namra is never this nervous," Heeseung fretted.

Heeseung and I were friends again. When all the drama happened, we had no contact for another month. But then I tried another approach and luckily got through to him. Our friendship was still in the healing phase, but we were making progress. I also became friends with Namra again, and everything seemed to be back to normal (with some exceptions, of course).

A few minutes passed before Namra and Seon returned in their dance suits and a track jacket over them. They also sat down with us, probably waiting for Ms. Jung.
Namra kept fidgeting and looking around as if she was looking for someone. "Ey Nam, calm down. What's going on?", I inquired.
"Nothing."
"You're pretty jittery for nothing," I said. She glanced briefly at Heeseung. The latter seemed to be talking to Seon about video games.
Then she pulled her phone out of her jacket, opened Instagram, and pressed the screen while holding it under my nose.
Puzzled, I looked at the screen, not quite understanding what she was trying to show me. But when I took a closer look at the story, my breath caught.

___________

___________

"I didn't know he was going to be here... I saw the story on the way there and since then I can't concentrate anymore. I should have known that the moment would come when we would meet. But why at the New Year's Special of all things?!" admitted Namra annoyed, biting her nails in frustration.
I could hear my heart beating anxiously and loudly. Thoughtfully, I bit my lower lip and stared obsessively at the picture.

The white hair... They reminded me of a very specific day. The last time I talked to him was outside the ramen store a year ago...

My chest tightened slightly, and I felt the pain again when he said he hated me. When he broke up with me.