Chapter 18

~The next day~

Dustin was pacing in the back room while me, Robin and Steve are sitting at the table.

"That key card opens the doors, but unfortunately, the Russian with this key card also has a massive gun. Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it."

"But, Dusty, there has to be a way in."

"Well, you know... I could just take them out." Steve said, weirdly confidently.

"Take who out?" asked Robin.

"The Russian guards!"

Me and Robin exchanged a skeptical look.

"What? I sneak up behind him, I knock him out, and I take his key card. It's easy."

"Did you not hear about the part about the massive gun?"

"Yes, Dustin, I did. And that's why I would be sneaking,"

"Steve, tell me this, have you ever actually won a fight?" I ask him.

"Okay, that was one ti-"

"Jonathan, year prior. And Harley, same year." butted in Dustin.

"Listen, that doesn't count,"

"Why wouldn't it, darling? Is it because I totally beat the actual living daylight out of you?"

"I was-"

"I had to take care of you and that fat lip, crooked nose, swollen eye and a lot of blood."

Robin walks out of the back room and grabs a fist full of cash from the tip jar. 

"Robin!"

"Hey Robin? What you doing?" I asked her.

" I need cash!"

"Well a third of that is mine! Where are you going?"

"To find us a way into that room, a safe way. And in the mean time, sling ice cream, behave, and don't let Harley beat you up. I'll be back in a Jiff.

Dustin licked Steve's ice cream scooper, and Steve quickly took it away. 

"Come on man, not my scooper!"

Robin comes in with the blueprints for Starcourt Mall. She spread them on the table.

"It is fascinating what 20 bucks can get you at the county recorders office. Starcourt Mall. The complete blueprints."

"Not bad"

"So this is us, Scoops, and this is where we want to get."

"I mean I don't really see a way in."

"There's not. If you're talking about doors. " I said while looking up at the two boys. The blue print was easy to read, well, for me.

"Air ducts." Dustin replied.

"Exactly. Turns out, this secret room needs air just like any old room," Robin used a red marker to draw a line from Scoops to the secret room, "And these air ducts lead all the way... here."

We all looked over at the air duct located right on the wall.

Steve removed the grate on the air duct, "Flashlight? Thank you."

"Yeah, I don't know, man. I don't know if you can fit in here, It's like... super tight." He said, referring to Dustin.

"I'll fit, trust me. No collar bones, remember?"