Eda's Requiem

Eda goes over a checklist for herself, "Luz needs a new coat. King needs to be checked for fleas. Am I missing anything?" she looks at her reflection, "Oh, you've changed, Owl Lady." she looks at a photo from Grom, "It's worth it." she opens her window, smiling as she looks down to see Luz and King doing pull-ups on her staff in midair.

"And three, and four, and five, and six, and seven, and eight, and nine, and ten!"

"And weh, and weh, and weh, and weh, and weh, and weh, and weh, and weh!"

"Alright, King. What's the first thing you're going to do when you meet your dad?"

"And ten thousand! Well, once we're done training, I'm gonna move out of that closet, that's for sure. Then, I'm going to ugly cry. Hard!"

"Have you told Eda about your decision to le-?"

"Shh!"

A noise is heard, making them look up to see Eda's window closed, the witch crouching under the window frame.

"I-I'm not ready yet. I'm not sure how she'll react."

Eda sighs, "Everyone's leaving, huh? Even King. I guess I'm no substitute for the real thing." she hears a knock at her door and quickly places the photo in her hair, "Come in!"

Cerise opens the door and walks in, Periwinkle on her shoulder, "Hey, Aunt Eda! I was just telling Periwinkle how you were the one who suggested the Bard Track to me for Hexside."

"Right!" Eda smiles as she sits down. The only one she would have after Luz and King leave is Cerise, her niece.

"I was wondering if maybe you could play that lute you have in your trunk? For old times sake?" Cerise smiles sheepishly as Periwinkle makes a squawking noise.

"Sure. Why not." Eda picks the lute up and starts to play a song that Cerise recognized as they song she'd play to put her to sleep when she was younger. Suddenly, everything around her starts to float.

Eda gasps, "Has my magic returned?" she stops playing, making everything fall down, "Oh, guess not. Stupid curse." she puts the lute back in the trunk.

"Come on, Aunt Eda!" Cerise leads her downstairs, "A new head coven is gonna be revealed today."

Unbeknownst to the two of them, a plant starts to turn black and corrode.

...

Luz and King are standing on the edge of a cliff, Eda's staff in Luz's hand. They fall and fly over the water, maneuvering past several rocks then flying upward until the sun obscures them.

...

Cerise and Eda use the former's scroll to watch the news.

"And we're back live at the emperor's castle! In light of Scooter Crane's retirement, today's ceremony will confirm Raine Whispers as the next head of the Bard Coven."

"Do I have to be on camera?" the hooded figure asks.

"For Titan's sake, just say something." Darius, the abomination head witch, told him.

The hooded figure pulls their hood down, revealing Raine Whispers, "Uh, I am honored to work with Emperor Belos in preparation for the Day of Uni-bee. Uh, I mean, Uni-ly! I mean, uh-oh no, this is going all wrong. Get me outta here!" they run off in a flustered manner.