The First Day

Luz activates a light glyph, holding it between her and Eda, "I-I'm not ready for this Eda. Maybe we should go back."

"Nah kid, you got this, just do what we practiced!"

"But what if...What if I mess something up? Or what if I do something wrong?" Luz gasps, "What if I die?"

"Hey. Calm down, calm down. I had to do the same thing when I was a witchling. It's like a rite of passage. Cece just went out there, pulled off some moves and she got in. Granted, she and I are a little more skilled."

"Eda!"

'Right, right. Sorry, sorry. Now, get pumped."

"Pumped!"

"Get ready."

Luz pulls her hood up, "Ready!"

"Now, go!" Eda shoves her.

...

A spotlight was aimed at curtains that opened up as Luz jumped on stage in a dark cloak.

"From the humblest of beginnings, a hero will rise. I have traveled from another realm and trained with a powerful witch and her protégé to master dark and forbidden magic. I am..." she takes off her cloak with a twirl, "Luz Noceda!"

Principal Bump sits in the front row with a clipboard.

Luz chuckles awkwardly, tossing confetti out of a fanny pack, "Confetti!"

"Right. The human that wants to be a witch. Against my better judgement, I've allowed you to take this exam into Hexside. But can you even do magic with all your...human parts?"

"I sure can." Luz zips open her fanny pack, "It's said that humans can't do magic," she pulls out papers and shows them to both sides of the auditorium, "but Cece and I have discovered a lost technique that changes everything."

"Hmm?" he leans forward in interest.

Eda gives two thumbs-up from backstage as Luz activates the light glyph and lets the ball rise. She moves the ice glyph under the light and activates it. She beams and does jazz hands.

"Spells cast with paper? I've never heard of such a thing." Principal Bump thinks to himself, "But is it enough to pass the exam?"

"Uhh..."

"Improvise." Eda whispers.

"Um, I can do other things, what about...this?" Luz stands and flips her eyelids inside out, "Bleep, bloop, bleep!"

Principal Bump looks unimpressed.

"Ow ow! Eyelash! Eyelash!" Luz slips on the melted ice pillar and falls into her abandoned cloak. She stands and tries to free herself, falling off the stage and onto Principal Bump. She rolls off him, "Sorry, sorry, sorry!" she places her hand on an ice glyph, "Whoops! AH!" the ice pillar lifts her up by one foot until she's eye level with Principal Bump, "I failed, didn't I?"

"Believe it or not, I've seen worse." Principal Bump told her as she fell on her face, "Welcome, Luz, to Hexside School of Magic and Demonics!" she drops a pamphlet on her head.