Chapter 67: Don't Refuse

Herobrine sighed in frustration as he slowly ambled through the oak woods, he lightly slammed his fist into a few trees as he passed them; a few blocky leaves floated down after the woody plants lightly shook from the force. His head pounded and ached, there wasn't much to give him the relief he needed; not even diverting his mind with a little pain from few fist blows to the thick bark of the trees. His recent 'episode' had sent him into a bloodthirsty frenzy and he tried to kill the miner again, but that man somehow pulled him out of it. Steve got lucky.

...

"You're blinded Herobrine. You're holding on to your dark past and letting the rage consume you, it's turning you into a mindless monster!"

...

The powerful being could almost hear the miner's words again, he was surprised he remembered what the man said in his crazed state.

-That's because I must be one Steve. That has to be my purpose in this world, I am obviously one in your damned god's eye and in every other human's eyes.- Herobrine frowned deeply and ground his teeth. It was rage and 'those' people who could bring back the old him, they were the closest people to Notch; the descendants of the first Minecraftian kind. They once received power, guidance, and miracles unlike any other developing human civilization by apparently Notch himself; as the people of the fortress claimed before the demi-god's arrival.

Through those condemning mortals; he could get back at the god, that is why he spared some and plagued them generation after generation. Although, it didn't take too many years to find out that he wasn't doing much because Notch didn't do a single thing to stop him and he hasn't yet. The god had so much power that he could use to protect his pathetic beings but he was absent for so long and still was. He abandoned his creatures and apparently dismissed the world itself, leaving it to fall into ruin or whatever shape the future brings. But even if he truly left the world, revenge was still in order and so was his debt.

Things were different now, ever since the miner came around. That mortal had brought back memories that should have been forever buried, because of this; Herobrine felt a change within him. He didn't need change, he hated it. He wanted to refuse it; but he didn't. He let it come to him instead of pushing it aside and ending the mortal's life like he should have, now his mind was more open. He was becoming more observant and lenient. He even read every little expression that the human made while talking to him though he didn't have to. It was pointless and yet; he did it anyway. He could tell what upset the man and what made him happy, hurt, or worried. There was no real reason to read expressions anyway. He shouldn't have welcomed the mortal into his life because now things have changed and so did he, it was greatly interfering with his debt. Interference would be the end of him.

Herobrine had realized the change that swept over him, there was no more denying it. This new version of himself was starting to reflect his old personality and attitudes in the days of guarding the fortress, but that is not what he needed now. The powerful being didn't need a reminder of the stupidity he had to trust humans, it only brought so much pain and anger. Herobrine needed to go back to the version of him that didn't have an ounce of care for anything or anyone in the world but himself. It is what would have been for the best. He could then mercilessly slaughter his prey and enjoy it, there would be no hesitance; other than to watch his victim cower and beg for mercy.

He'd be the one that didn't have to rethink or reflect on what he'd done, memories would have been buried so deep in his mind that they'd eventually fade or even cease to exist. The old him would collect mounds and mounds of souls for the End lord without displeasing him, his Nether fortress would still be standing and he wouldn't have to experience the deadly power that ate at his arms. But ever since the miner came; things have changed and not for the better. He needed to be-