Chapter 1: Hiding in the Dark

(This story is imported from Fanfiction, will be posting 3 chapters a day(hopefully) until it's caught up with the current 87 chapters, if you can't wait to read more then feel free to go to FF and read the rest as it's been updated recently and easy to find. Will also be porting to Archive of Our Own. *Art not mine)

A light breeze of cold mountain air blew across the face of a skilled miner, the wind gently flowed over his features and made his loose fabric dance with the current. He was dressed in a teal blue t-shirt and plain old blue jeans, not your average attire for mining but this guy preferred it that way. He sucked in the crystal crisp mountain air and a smile formed on his face, it widened from the beautiful sight of a forbidden looking land mysteriously encased in a mountainous cradle. He looked down from the cliff face and his gaze followed the forests and hills below to a vast and open land into the distance, land that was seemed to untouched by humankind. It was an untamed beauty like no other. It was such a sight he couldn't help but feel a sense of power flow through him, as if the land itself was emitting some strange force from it's shear splendor alone.

Oh how he wanted to see more what was beyond his sights, perhaps more wondrous and stunning landscapes for his eyes to feast upon? Or possibly a place for his new perfect home, out far into the peaceful and quiet wilderness with an amazing view? What could be better than fresh undisturbed land for any experienced miner? This was surely his newest pursuit and he needed to head back down the great dirt and rock heap to rest and stock up at the nearest village below for the evening.

Steve made his way through the large town at an unhurried pace looking for any kind of vendor or blacksmith to refresh his supplies, but all he seemed to have noticed in his walk was the lack of villagers, animals, and any street lamps, or any light source for that matter. In fact, part of the village was hidden in shadow by a cliff jutting out of the mountain high above along with the tall trees of the forest surrounding; it was going to be dark soon but there were no lit torches or lanterns out yet. It was strange. What's a large village without people moving about? Why was it so dark and bleak looking here? There were plenty signs of habitation; chopped wood for most fireplaces of the houses looked rather fresh and neatly stacked along the sides of the buildings.

The small vendor stalls along the sides of the streets were organized pretty well and full of goods and items to sell, there were even a few merchants here and there as well as people but they appeared to be cautious and quiet as they moved? Surely this decent sized town was run by a handful of townsfolk, but it's strange with the fearful behaviors of the people he'd seen. So many more questions began stirring in the miner's head as he kept up his steady pace as he walked through the streets. There was an unnerving silence that seemed to plague the community here, it was definitely abnormal and alarming, there wasn't even children running about in play though there were a few kids nearby being quiet and still.

A woman and her two young children gasped when Steve walked past them on the street, they made no sound as they gaped at him in horror and then quickly fled into their home after seeing the newcomer. A few other villagers swiftly retreated as well when Steve turned to look at them, some even tripped up and stumbled but scurried away in haste. Merchants ducked in their stalls, grown men cowered at the sight of him and avoided eye-contact, and whosoever was near a door took refuge behind it.

They were scared of him? That didn't make any sense. Their faces were filled with what looked like tormented horror, dread for the most part. It was weird but he decided it was best to shrug it off and headed inside of a nearby tavern to see if there was a way into the great valley that was well guarded by the perfectly cut cliffs, as well as a place to get more supplies whilst he was at it. His chest pack on his back felt really light for a mining and exploring trip.