Chapter 45: Yet You Return

Steve had spent about an hour cleaning himself up a little and packing whatever he could use to get out of the land safely. He baked the last of his wheat and made one loaf of bread, he stored it away in his bag that he got from Warren and drank the last of his healing potion instead. He kept the remains of his special potion though, saving it for a crucial time if in such an event rendered him with more injuries. He rummaged through his backpack and gathered only a few of his essential items; choosing to leave his more heavier chest pack since he wasn't feeling so strong. The lighter he packed the better it would be on his exhausted body and healing wounds. He also stored away the things he didn't need in the chest, he wasn't about to just throw away perfectly useable items.

He took the navy colored cloak that had the royal insignia on it and wrapped it around his form, it was going to be a long walk to the mountains and a large portion of that trail was in a cold climate.

As Steve opened the door the pig grunted and gave him a curious look.

"Pork Chop, I have to go. Come on." He motioned his hand outwards but the swine only stood there with an unreadable expression, not fully understanding what the human was doing.

The miner sighed and took one last glance around the inside of the small home. Though he wasn't very safe here in this house, in this land; he still felt rather attached to it. A part of him was going to miss the place. It felt sort of like home, just in a hostile neighborhood. A part of him wanted to fix it up and expand on it some, make it a little bigger, clean it up, add some more furnishings, his own room, and just stay for a while like a little private getaway. Steve smiled. "That would have been nice." He says to himself.

The fireplace would be fine, the Nether block wasn't going out anytime soon so he wasn't going to waste the time to douse it considering he was out of water and would need to fetch more down the hillside. He had left all of the furniture in it's place, he didn't need to waste energy moving them back. For all he knew; he wouldn't ever see it again, or Herobrine would just burn it down to somewhat erase the memory of him being in pain and being saved by the miner and saving the miner in return.

The pig suddenly trotted past Steve, out of the shack and wandered around outside; using it's hoof to dig up some grass buried underneath the snow.

Not surprised, Steve moved through the doorway and took one last look at the portrait on the wall. Lionel continued to smile on that canvas, Steve felt a little guilt for giving in. He couldn't do another fight right now so he couldn't convince Herobrine that way, but he just couldn't leave his promises to the dead sentinel and the ex-hero. He needed a miracle, again. "Notch? Please, I need another chance. By some way, somehow, just let me get through to him. Help me to help him understand, please?" He asked, slouching in his posture when he got no response. "I'm sorry Lionel, I tried." He finished more solemnly with his head craned downward before closing the door and walking away a few yards.

He stopped by Pork Chop just munching on some grass and took one last look at the old house, he could see the fixes he did with the structure and he wished he had more time to replace the damaged wood and windows. There was no doubt he was going to miss the place, but it was to be behind him now. The miner turned away and treaded through the open snow hill and down into the pine woods.

...

...

It had been over an hour now and it was snowing like crazy as he moved through the snow plains. He had a feeling that Pork Chop wasn't going to follow him all the way like he wished the swine would. It was his only company. He couldn't even feel those eyes on him like the first time he did passing through, so Herobrine wasn't stalking him. The pig did however; follow him for a couple miles but the animal had been smart and didn't go walking through the heavy snowfall.