Chapter 62: Build Your Resolve

(Art by Spoopyvlat DA)

The miner finally drew breath as his eyes moved onto the object in Herobrine's hands, the dark sphere had a nasty looking eye staring at him. He could tell from the look on Herobrine's face that he was not expecting the beast's order, but he appeared to be troubled by the thought. It still worried Steve though, Herobrine was unpredictable at times. Which meant that the being may just contemplate on doing what the monster wants out of fear from more waves of pain.

Herobrine moved his brightening gaze onto the round object in his regenerating hands and sneered darkly. "That is not part of our agreement Ender!"

"You are defending this mortal then?" Ender returned his gaze to his holder and stared right into the being's eyes, he got the answer from the initial expression he received. This made the out-worldly creature suspicious of something human and suspicious of ...mercy. These notions shouldn't exist to a being like Herobrine. "I am surprised considering we hate all of them, especially ones that are far inferior to us like this frail and yet similar looking man. He's the one that brought you down? This pale, thin, and feeble looking mortal, defeated you? No human should have ever defeated you, even with your own powerful blade. I know that you aren't weak Herobrine; you have never shown any kind of weakness to me until now. The only way you could have ever lost was to hesitate, allowing an opening from being inattentive and distracted somehow. I could care less about how you fell in your battle as interesting as it seems; but I do want to know why you seem to reject my demand? ... That is unless of course... he is your friend?"

The White-Eyed man ground his teeth and clenched onto the Eye with more force with his hands as the white light was slowly being replaced with tanned flesh. "I am not your slave!" He barked.

"Indirect answer, that only means one thing. You're trying to protect him aren't you? ... Hmmmm? No answers again? Bah, I knew it." The beast said with a low dull and disappointed tone. "I don't know why you would be open to such a sickening and pathetic thing as friendship after what humans did to you, but you seem so protective of this weakness in the form of a mortal." The eye's pupil moved back towards the miner and made the man take a step backwards in fright. "This one in particular that oddly looks a lot like you Herobrine, how strange indeed. You, human." It growled.

Steve put on a brave face and clenched his fists tightly, even though terrified, this thing is tormenting Herobrine. He wanted to speak but at the moment couldn't muster any words.

"Oh, you do look and sound so familiar. Heh heh heh. Ah, now I remember. It's been a long time, Steve. Though we've never got to properly meet until now. You were so naïve back then."

"H-how do you know my name?" The miner asked confusedly.

The voice then laughed aloud, making the ground lightly tremble as the miner looked on in fear and confusion. "Hmmm... It matters not, you couldn't do anything then, nor can you now. You are no different. Your return through favoritism will not help you, though I cannot help but wonder why 'He' brought you back after all this time." The creature hissed with a guttural sound.

Steve had absolutely no idea what the creature was saying, he's never seen or heard the monster until now. And what did it mean by 'favoritism'? The miner instinctively turned his attention to the old hero, wondering if he knew what the End lord meant. 'Herobrine, what is he talking about?' He asked through his mind.

Herobrine wanted to reply back for he had no clue either, but for the miner's sake he remained silent mentally; knowing that Ender could read him as he read the miner's mind.