Chapter 54: The Risk

Steve shook his head in disbelief. Surely whatever or whoever created Herobrine didn't purposely intend on making the being as an object of destruction, definitely not a monster. "You're not a monster Herobrine."

"Why do you think that?" Herobrine spun on his heels until he faced the miner directly. "The last I remember in our conversation was 'that sentinel' telling me that Notch-" Herobrine hissed. "Was looking out for my brother as he did for everyone who honored him and praised him. After that; I don't remember anything but white and great hate because of that lie. Only after hearing your plea did I come to and realized what I had done, and what I was still doing. I was choking you and slamming you into the Nertherbrick pillar."

That explained Steve's back and neck pain. The miner softly ran has hand down the side of his throat, it was really sore. How Herobrine had gone mad seemed reasonable, though going completely out of his mind was from something he still wasn't sure about. Herobrine had been deeply torn and betrayed by one man who had apparently plotted out the takeover of the fortress and had gotten both the Sovereign and his people to believe him, all so that they too would persecute and torture Herobrine and make a way to receive the throne.

"So after trying to kill you why do you think that? Go ahead and consider all of the other times I've tried. Tell me." The being lightly demanded. "Or allow me to show you what Brutus thought, he had made good points when torturing me and the truth was very clear."

Steve bit his lip and shook his head. "That's not necess-"

...

"Necessary-." Steve paused after he blinked and once again found himself in a place that wasn't where he was currently at, Herobrine was showing him a memory again. "Isn't this risky?" The miner spoke out after finding himself in a dark and cold dungeon cell with Herobrine lying quietly on the floor; just like when Lionel had first found him detained. He moved over to Herobrine and kneeled down next to him. "You almost killed me over a memory with that guy, you don't have to do this." He exclaimed to the old motionless hero but got no response, the being didn't even look in his direction. "Herobrine!" He shouted, again no response nor attention.

The doors to the dungeon then swung open, Steve couldn't see anyone from behind the cell's iron bars but he could hear one set of steps from a single individual; he felt his stomach drop at the sounds of chinking armor echoing down the hallway. He had a sickening feeling of where this memory was going and he honestly didn't want to partake in it since Herobrine mentioned torture. The miner swallowed his nervousness and stood back up and backed away from the paralyzed form. "Please, stop. Don't do this again Brine, you don't have to prove anything." He plead, but again he was met with silence.

Steve huffed and watched as the tall golden sentinel walked on by, passing up the cell in a casual stride. The miner felt himself sigh in relief that the man had moved on and that maybe Herobrine was honoring his wish, but even so he wasn't snapping out of the vision. Steve was still trapped in the cell with Herobrine. "Uh, Herobrine?" The footsteps came to a stop a few seconds later.

"I'm here to relieve you of your duties officer. Please, go and get some rest. You've earned it." Came a deep and stoic voice.

"Thank you sir." Another male voice responded, though it sounded a little younger and more softer. "Oh and don't forget to take it a little easier on him this time, he has a trial tomorrow and you know the Sovereign hates when prisoners are covered in blood. It's very unsightly and it's inappropriate for an open trial and it's attendees."

"But of course, I won't mess him up too much, I'm aware of the abomination's proceedings. I just want to have a little chat is all, mostly anyways before his final sentencing."