Chapter 21: What Your Kind Has Done

(Art by Spindelle DA)

"I can't say that this decision is the greatest, but I admire your courage. I was almost killed the last time I went there, a few creepers were hiding in one of the fort's smaller dark corridors and- things just got nasty in there." Nigel lightly struggled to keep his pace to match Steve's with his ankle still being a little sore.

Steve began to notice his friend's little stumbles and slowed down his own walking pace so that the elderly man wouldn't have to put to much effort into his steps. The fortress was still a good distance away so Nigel could hurt himself more if he continued to push himself on his bad ankle.

"Don't slow down now." Nigel cracked a large smile and sped up despite the pain and discomfort, moving rather well for an old limping man; even passing up Steve. "I know what dangers we face but I'm still very anxious to get back to the library." He said happily.

"The library?" Steve repeated in interest with a raised brow, he then pushed himself in a light jog to keep up with the eager elder.

"Yes, it's a vast and fascinating... collection of history and kn-... knowledge!" Nigel said between breaths. "Quite frankly the best part of the entire castle. There's so many books... so many that I've never seen yet, so many more just waiting to be discovered and r-read! A lot more than you'd believe! It's too bad they're all written in the ancient text, but decoding it all is what makes the experience worthwhile!" Nigel heaved a bit from the brisk jog and slowed back down with his smile falling from the fatigue setting in. "Oh, I'm too old for this." He says with a low huff and comes back to a slow walk.

Steve caught up to the old man and light smiled. "A bunch of books excite you this much?"

"Well yes! I'm an adventurer who loves this kind of stuff Steven. Even a trip to the fortresses Library is sort of like an adventure for the brain, but very time consuming. Alas, I'm afraid that is why I still come to this fortress, it's because there's still so many more things that need to be discovered and re-written for the modern times. Oh, if only our time was limitless?"

"You came for books?"

"Books, scrolls, any kind of written documents yes. Those old pages of fading ink is where I've learnt most of Herobrine's heroism and fall from grace, I've also learned of his punishments and court proceedings from a few scrolls as well. So trust me, that's where I want to continue my search, especially for anything on Lionel this time around. I've seen that name a couple times before, but never connected it to anything. Now I understand and I'm curious about this look-like, so now I must know more about him thanks to you." He gave Steve a firm nod and the miner returned it with a look of agreement. "And don't worry, I know where the shrine of Notch is too. We'll make our way there as well, but the library is more closer and easier to access so we'll stop there first." Nigel suddenly staggered after stepping wrong with his pained foot and he fell forwards but quickly regained balance before he could fully fall over. "Ow owowowowow ow." He lightly winced and limped over to a nearby worn out wooden bench. He pulled off his bag and took a seat, exhaling from getting off the tender source.

"Are you alright? You need me to help again?" Steve rushed over to the adventurer.

"I'll be fine." The elder man exhaled softly. "I don't require your assistance and you don't need to waste your energy carrying me, I'll be fine." Nigel waved his hands outwards in sign of no help wanted. "I'll be alright after a quick break." He leaned down to rug his ankle and lightly hissed. "No need to worry my good friend, it's just a little sprain is all."

"Are you going to be able to continue then? I mean, if we do run into Herobrine then escape won't be easy, especially for you. ... He could definitely kill you fairly easily." Steve stated his concern after the sudden apprehension of imagining the ex-hero capturing the old man by the neck and with malicious intent on his face.