six: future father-in-law

gif of marco

not proof-read!

"Thank you." I smile to the butler who delivers my suitcase. He nods his head with a warm smile as he exits out of my new room.

My eyes scan around the room. It is certainly big for only a guest bedroom, but then again in the Marco Donati house everything is ridiculously oversized. The bed looks heavenly with the white sheets and the white pillows. The bed is literally the definition of heaven. The big windows shows the view of Italy, I can see the blue sea along with the trees. So basically the bedroom is perfect.

I unpack all my things, starting with my clothes and ending with my toiletries. It looks like I will be staying in this house for quite a while. A part of me wanted to cling onto Finn's promise to me to break the engagement. However, it appears very unlikely.

Once I finish unpacking, I place my suitcase to one side and fall on the bed. My arms and body squashing the throw pillows. I nuzzle my face into the pillows, enjoying how the feel of it. I shut my eyes, letting my body shut down.

"Miss Kokinos," A voice calls, shaking my body gently. "Miss Kokinos, Mr. Donati wishes to speak with you."

I let out a long groan, opening my eyes. The middle-aged woman smiles apologetically. "I'm sorry to disturb you resting, Miss Kokinos. But, Mr. Donati would like to speak with you."

I sit my body upright, fixing my blonde locks. I was about to fall asleep. "What could Marco want to speak with me about?" I ask Mrs Reid as I lift myself off the bed. I adjust my dress which raised up slightly.

Mrs Reid shakes her head. "Oh, no. Lorenzo Donati wishes to speak with you. Mr. Donati is at the office, overseeing business for his father as his training when he becomes the next CEO." She explains, leading me out of the room.

"I heard that Marco is a very capable man for the job as CEO for the Donati Empire. But there are rumours that Lorenzo Donati is not giving him the position yet because of Marco's...other interests." I state referring to his womanising ways.

Mrs Reid only shrugs. "I am afraid I do not know why Mr. Lorenzo hasn't given up the position. As the days go by, he appears more tired and I can see that he wants to retire. But, I don't know why he hasn't retired yet. Not many people do."

She leads me past the kitchen to the living room, where an older man is sitting. From the dark hair and the distinctive blue-eyes, he is definitely Lorenzo Donati. He and Marco have an uncanny resemblance.

"Ah, Ophelia Kokinos." He smiles to my direction.

I nod curtly with my own smile. "Mr. Donati."

He turns his attention to Mrs Reid. "Thank you, Mrs Reid. You are excused for now." The middle-aged woman nods politely to him and leaves the room.

Lorenzo Donati scans my appearance with a smile. "You have a combination of your mother and father. You have Ava's blonde hair, but you have your eyes from Anders. How are they anyway? I haven't seen them for a long time." He asks.

I take a seat opposite from him. "They are fine." I answer, placing my hands on my lap.

"You know something, Ophelia? Every time I look at you it always surprises me because I never thought that Anders would ever settle down. I thought he was just going to die alone." He jokes with a grin. Now I know where Dante gets his signature grin from...

Curiosity got the best of me. Father always refrained himself from talking about what he was like when he was younger. He never talks about the past, he is too busy focusing on the future. My future more specifically or the future for the Kokinos family.

"What was my father like when he was younger?" I inquire, this conversation has suddenly peaked my own interest.

Lorenzo Donati doesn't say anything for a few seconds, he stares ahead with a thoughtful expression. "Hmm, let's see. Your father was so serious, he rarely smiled yet alone cracked a joke. He was very mature and his personality was very cold and stern. But that was what pulled the ladies to him." He smiles mischievously before throwing his head back and letting out a bark of a laugh.

Basically my father hasn't changed one bit...

"But, when your father met your mother. He changed to some extent. When he was with her, he was a different. He wasn't as cold as he was. He was loving to her and very possessive. You see, my girl, your father let a very few people into his life. It was like he created a brick wall between him and the people around him. But your mother broke that wall."

I smile softly to myself. Even though I haven't seen a soft and loving side of my father. I knew that he still had a side like that.

"It's almost strange to see Anders' daughter marrying my son. But there is no other woman I would see with my son. Now, tell me, what do you think of my eldest son?" He asks with curiously eyes.

I plaster a fake smile. "He's wonderful." I answer.

What a lie.

Lorenzo grins happily. "It pleases me that you have taken a liking to Marco already! It seems like the wedding will sooner than we thought!" He exclaims with a laugh.

My eyes widen as I let out a nervous laugh. What have I just gotten myself into? "Well, I don't think we need to rush into anything. What is the need after all?"

"The question you should be asking, why not?"

❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎

I know, I know. I haven't updated for weeks and it's a short chapter. But I have been focusing on The Neighbour that I kinda forgot about TID :/ Sorry.

TN is my main focus for now because it only has a few more chapters left before the end. So until the book ends, there will be late updates. But it will only be for a couple of weeks, not too long I hope. After TN is finished then my attention will be focused on this book c:

Deal? Deal.

See you in the next chapter!

Have lovely day or night!

Nat xxx