Thirty Eight - Change

"Delle?"

I slowly turned around with my sheepish smile, facing Aunt Sora who caught me going out again. There was a sad but caring expression sticked on her face while she examined me from head to foot before taking a deep sigh.

"You've been going out with these boys often, Delle," Aunt Sora said. "I'm worried about you. Even if you keep convincing me that they're good people, they're still delinquents, gang members."

I had just remembered that I still haven't told her I'm a part of this 'gang' she's referring to. Plus, even though she likes Mikey, she still thinks it's not good for me.

"It's dangerous especially for a girl like you."

I exhaled with an assured smile.

The way Aunt Sora said the words was heartwarming. Of all people I knew besides Toman, she's the only one who made me feel that she really cares about me even if I'm not really important and helpful in this household.

Though I admit, I did most of the cleaning. Haha.

Aunt Sora also has her own flaws, of course, but she's the only one who didn't make me feel that I need to measure up my worth by being the perfect daughter or person.

Even if I fail and even if I am stubborn, she still accepts me, loves me. Even in the slightest bit, I already see her as a mother to me.

"I'll be fine, Aunt Sora," I reassured, placing my hands beside her arms. "Nothing bad will happen to me. Trust me."

Her reaction showed that she didn't have a choice but to agree. She gradually nodded and carefully combed my hair with her fingers.

"Alright, dear. Take care of yourself, then. And keep an eye on Hanagaki, okay?"

"I will." I beamed, giving her a quick and comforting hug. "Thank you, aunt. I'll be back later."

"Oi, Delle!" Masaru called from upstairs.

I looked above. "What, genius?!"

"Come up here for a sec!"

I blew the hair covering my face and obeyed.

"Here," he said, handing me something eccentric yet also familiar from his hands.

Wait, is this..?

"You'll need this now that you're Toman's girl," Masaru said. "You wouldn't want to be a burden who always needs protecting, right?"

I raised a brow, scanning the short metal wrapped with my fingers. This... really looked like the baton the creepy guy gave me before. It's gone now, though, but... I have a new one now.

I... I loved it!

But I should remain my poker face. I can't lose to this guy.

"A metal? To... throw?" I pretentiously asked as if I had no idea, and he snorted.

"Genius," he sarcastically commented, rolling his eyes. "Try clicking the end. Careful."

I startled with the sudden stretch of the metal as it turned into a long stick. "Is this the stainless steel telescopic self-defense weapon that I've heard of?" He grinned and nodded. I laughed through my nose. "Woah! Really?!"

Nice acting, self.

"Yeah." He chuckled. "A baton."

He really believed my act. Haha.

"To keep you safe, Delle..."

"E-eh?" He startled me with his words.

Is this really the Masaru I've known before? What a change, huh.