one back

"Where's Eren? Is he not coming?" Jean asked eagerly as you stood outside Mila's hospital room with a gift bag in your hand and a balloon.

"He's been feeling really bad about the whole thing...he doesn't want to risk putting Mila in danger again so..."

"So what? He's not gonna come around anymore? I don't blame him y'know? Could you tell him that please?" Jean asked persistently and you nodded.

"How is she feeling?" You asked and you both looked at Mila through the glass of her room, she was laying down and playing with her fingers.

"Okay, I guess. She's been tired but they said she should recover well, just have to keep an eye on her." Jean answered and opened the door for you, you entered and Mila's face lit up.

"Where's uncle Eren?!" She asked excitedly.

"Oh...he couldn't make it but he got you this," you placed the gift bag next to her but she frowned after you spoke.

"Why won't he see me? He said we would get ice cream,"

"I'll make sure he plans to take you out for ice cream as soon as you're all healed up, okay?"

"Promise?" She stuck her pinky out and you smiled and locked your pinky with hers.

"Promise."

You handed her the string of the balloon and she had the biggest smile on her face.

"Can I actually talk to you for a sec y/n?" Jean asked as he received a text from his phone and looked back up to you.

"Sure?" You stood him and Mila was too distracted by the balloon already.

You stepped back out into the hall together, waiting for what he had to say.

"I know Eren knows who did this. I just want to warn you that he has clear intentions of-"

"Sorry...I lied to you before. He's not "just not seeing Mila", he's been asleep this entire time. He passed out last night on the couch and hasn't woken up since." You interrupted and sighed because you wanted to avoid bringing it up as much as possible.

"What?! Is he okay?!"

"I think so...I don't really know but I called the hospital and they said that was normal in his case. I think he's just sleeping his time away at this point,"

"Oh...okay. Well, Mila made him this as soon as she got out of surgery so whenever he wakes up would you give it to him?" He pulled out a card, handing it to you and you nodded.

You turned and waved to Mila from behind the glass and she waved back happily before you left.

——-

You didn't open the card since it was for Eren, he was still asleep right where he fell asleep, on the couch...at least you assumed he was. When you opened the door you saw that his spot on the couch was empty but you heard a sizzling from the kitchen.

"Eren?!" You called out and he turned his head and looked at you, he was standing in the kitchen in cartoon pajamas and his bunny slippers, cooking something.

"Oh. Hello." He greeted calmly, you scrunched your brows up while approaching slowly.

"Has he gotten hospital bills yet?" He asked and stirred whatever was in the pot.

"I don't know-"

"Give this to him for me."He reached into his pocket and pulled out a folded check but you refused to accept it.

"No. You can go give it to him yourself."

"Y/n don't-"

"Don't what? You won't even talk to me! I had to find out about the whole situation for a news article five fucking hours later! What if it was you Eren? What if you were shot? Would you want me to find out five hours later?!" You shouted, everything was pouring out at once even though you wanted to wait to get angry with him.