Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Joshua got out of the car; he didn't know if he was ready. Clara had been with him since she was five months old. "I don't know if I'm ready for this." Joshua admitted. Clay understood why Joshua felt like he wasn't ready for this. Clay also felt like he wasn't ready for this. He didn't know if Clara was his daughter or not. But she looked genuinely like him. Clay could see it, but he didn't see it until his mother pointed it out.

"I'm not ready either. I didn't even notice how much she looked like me until my mother pointed it out." Clay told him. That didn't really help Joshua. That just made him furrow his brow.

"How could you not notice?" Joshua asked. Clay shrugged. "I noticed that her eyes were the same colour as mine, but I didn't think that she could be mine." Clay said to him. Joshua opened the backdoor and took Clara out of the car. She was smiling up at him from her car seat. "Hey, baby girl." Joshua greeted her and she was gurgling baby language at him.

Clay couldn't help but smile at the two of them, they looked so cute. "She looks adorable." Clay told him. Joshua smiled as well.

"Yeah, I know."

"Let's go inside." Clay told Joshua and he grabbed his hand to lead him into the doctor's office. Joshua's hands were sweating. What if Clara was Clay's. Their first names even started with the same letter. That had to be a sign of something, right?

Clay lead him towards the door and opened the door for him. Clay gestured for Joshua to go in first. Joshua could feel his nerves in his bones. There was a receptionist at the desk who smiled at them when they walked in. "The doctor is waiting for you in his office." She said to them. Joshua and Clay both nodded and walked back to the office. The door was open.

Hayden was sitting there behind the desk with an emotionless look on his face. Joshua couldn't read his face. Not one bit. He had an emotionless mask on his face. He had a feeling what Hayden was going to say. He didn't know what would happen from it.

"Come in, sit down." The doctor told them. Joshua took a seat and carefully placed Clara in his lap.

Hayden sighed. "I don't know how to say this." Hayden started. That's when Joshua and Clay both knew that the test was positive.

"The test was positive, wasn't it?" Clay asked. Hayden nodded. "Yes, it was. Do you have any idea who the mother is?" Hayden asked.

Clay shook his head.

"No, not really. What do you suggest that we do from here?" Clay asked. Hayden shrugged. "You can tell social services that you are Clara's biological father and try and get some legal rights back but you will have to tell them that you are in a relationship with Joshua and you have to tell them the truth." Hayden replied. Clay nodded.

"Of course." Clay said and then Clara reached out to Clay with her hands. Clay smiled at her and took her. She was smiling at him. "So, we'll have to call social services then." Joshua mumbled. Clay nodded.

"Yeah, we will. We'll sort this out, don't worry." Clay told Joshua to try and calm Joshua's nerves. He could tell that Joshua was on edge. But Clay wasn't going to leave him. Joshua thought that and no matter how much Clay tried to reassure him that he wasn't going to, Joshua still thought that.

They left the doctor's office after he referred them to social services, he gave them a number to phone. Clay wasted no time and phoned them as soon as he got into the car. They got an appointment for the next day. Joshua sat in the car. He didn't know what to do. Again.

Clay placed a hand on his knee. He was concerned. "Are you okay? I am going to try and be the best father for Clara that I can be." Clay told him. Joshua just nodded.