Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Clay woke up with a smile the next morning. He couldn't help it. He got out of his bed and walked into his walk-in wardrobe and pulled out a suit. He walked downstairs and saw Jeremy at the counter with breakfast. "Why don't you eat breakfast with me, Jeremy?" Clay suggested.

Jeremy looked hesitant but eventually nodded and brought the plates to the table. Clay pulled out a chair for him to sit on. They ate breakfast in silence until Clay said something. "Are things alright, Jeremy?" Clay questioned. Jeremy nodded, immediately. It was too quick.

"Are you sure? Do you need any time off?" Clay asked him. Jeremy shook his head. "No, Mr King. I do not need any time off. It's just-."

"Just what? Jeremy, I am your friend. If you need anything, you know that you can ask me." Clay told Jeremy.

"It's just I met someone, and I don't know how to approach them. They're extremely nervous and I don't know what to do." Jeremy replied.

"I think that you should try and be friends first and see where that gets you. Try and get close to them and see what happens. It'll all work out in the end, Jeremy. Don't worry about it." Clay tried to reassure Jeremy, but he didn't know if it was working or not. Jeremy smiled anyway.

"Thank you, Mr King." Jeremy told Clay. Clay just shook his head. "Please start calling me Clay. When you use Mr, it makes me feel old." Clay told Jeremy with a small smile on his face.

"Okay, Clay. Though that just sounds weird." Jeremy muttered.

"No, it doesn't. Call me Clay please. Do you need any help with the dishes?" Clay asked Jeremy and he shook his head.

"No, I don't. You need to get to work anyway." Jeremy told Clay. Clay brought his plate to the sink and grabbed his briefcase. He grabbed his keys also and then walked out. He hopped into the backseat of the SUV that Alex drove.

"Good morning, Alex." Clay chirped. Alex raised an eyebrow. "Why do you sound so chirpy?" Alex asked with a curious tone to his voice.

"I just am." Clay replied and that just made Alex even more curious.

"You are never this chirpy in the morning." Alex muttered and continued driving. Clay looked out the window and saw the streets of New York that were busy with people.

"Are you going out to get Joshua?" Clay asked Alex, even though he already knew the answer. Alex knew that and he just raised an eyebrow at him.

"Don't I always?" Alex asked with a smile on his face.

"I was just asking." Clay said to him. Alex nodded and smiled but Clay could see his hands tighten around the steering wheel. Why was he doing that? Clay made a mental reminder to talk to Joshua when Alex brought him to the office.

"Are you alright?" Clay asked Alex. He seemed to be tense and there was tension in the air. Alex nodded and forced a smile on his face. Clay knew it was forced. He could just tell. There was something going on with Alex and Clay didn't know what. But he wanted to find out. "I'm fine, Clay. Don't worry about me." Alex replied.

That just made Clay even more worried than he already was. "Okay, you know that you can talk to me about anything alright?" Clay asked the man. Alex nodded. He knew that. Alex knew that.

They arrived at the office building a few minutes later, Clay opened the door to the car. But he turned back to look at Alex. "I might call you to my office later, alright?" Clay asked the man. Alex nodded. "No problem." Alex told him. Clay then got out of the car and walked into the building. The receptionist smiled at him. Clay managed a smile back.