Chapter 28

The last smile Ciana gave me replayed in my sleep. I was hoping to see her face the first time my eyes opened but it was not her who greeted me.

It's not my brother or Mom. It's Kennedy. My eyelids feel heavy, giving my eyes hard time opening completely. I saw him like a blurred movie.

"W-Where am I?"

"We are at the hospital, Ms. Legazpi. You were three days unconscious," he answered.

Where's everyone? I asked myself when I looked at both sides of my bed and saw nothing but tables and drawers and the monitor.

May mga nakakabit sa kamay ko kaya hindi ko magawang gumalaw nang maayos. I gathered all my courage and asked Ken.

"How's my baby?"

He beamed. "Your baby is fine but the doctor said you must be more careful now. Maaaring maging maselan ang pagbubuntis mo."

I thanked all the angels in relief. I whimpered before asking him another question. I was hesitant but I'm sure they are good too. They survived too. I know... he just needs to give me the right answer.

"W-Where's Ciana? Where's my brother? Are... are they together? They are sharing a room? Or are they home now because they are doing well?" sunod-sunod kong tanong.

I couldn't read his face but when his hand held mine, it sent fear down my spine, doubling the speed of my heartbeats. He didn't give me an answer through words but his action has spoken for me.

"C-Ciana is alive, right?"

I will not believe him if he says she's not.

"She was rushed here too, so she should be alive. W-Where is she?"

He bites his lips, looking nervous. "Let's wait for Mrs. Legazpi. She has the best answer to your questions." It was a safe answer but I hated it.

"Tell me, please. At least tell me my sister is alive. I know she is, you just have to tell me. Nasaan ang mga kapatid ko?"

He heaved a deep sigh. I moved my hand away when he tried to hold it again. That's not the response I want to hear from him.

"Mr. Fajardo," I called him, impatient now.

Nilisan ng kamay niya ang kama ko at bumuntong-hininga. I followed where his eyes fell, on his thigh. Seeing him lower his head with lips in a state of hesitation, I already know the answer.

"She's dead on arrival, Ms. Legazpi."

The sincerity his voice made woke me up. But it wasn't enough to make me believe him.

"No," agaran kong pagtutol.

"That can't happen. She is alive--she was just talking to me a while ago. I can still remember what she said, her face, her dress," taranta at naluluha kong sabi.

"I can tell you what she was wearing. She was in his red long dress, her hair was tied low with a white scarf. She was--she was wearing rattan sandals. I was with her. Please... please, Ken. That's not true, please take your words back," I cried.

Kahit walang lakas ay pinilit kong maiupo ang sarili ko sa hospital bed maaabot lamang siya at mapakiusapan.

"You're lying," I uttered. "Tell me you're lying!" I yelled at his face.

I am being delirious but he remains calm. "You were unconscious for days, Ms. Legazpi. Maraming nangyari pero ayokong pangunahan ang Mom mo. I don't want to shock you either."

Lahat ng sabihin niya wala ng talab sa akin, wala akong pakialam. Isa lang naman ang gusto kong marinig. Buhay si Ciana at buhay ang kapatid ko.

I tried to remove everything that is attached to my body but he stopped my arms from doing so.