Chapter 14

"Bring my coat."

It was him after watching me put on my lipstick. He removed his coat and hung it on my shoulder. Tonight is the welcome party. We are both leaving, me for the party and him for their family dinner.

"You can have it. I might not need it." I handed it back to him. His hand remained unmoving. It makes him look like he's mad I gave it back.

I will roam around the venue for the whole party. There's no way I won't sweat from walking back and forth.

"What if you get cold? What will you do? Wear someone else's?"

He is talking to me with his serious facade, eyes sharp and lips twitching. Naitikom ko ang bibig sa kawalan ng salitang sasabihin.

I shrugged my shoulder to ease the tension. I have not fully grasped what he told me last night and yet he's giving me these signs that indeed, he is true to his words. He will court me.

So this is how it feels to be courted by someone. Being a little more clingy and sweet. I thought he is a complete snowflake who is not passionate and warm. I might have underestimated him for months.

"You need no one's coat, Era," he said as he put back his coat on my shoulder.

I realized that we never actually followed the one-meter rule. Like when he neared me to put on the coat and I got to smell the perfume on his chest beneath the black long sleeve polo. I gulped down when he fixed it on me, swaying my hair to the back and slightly touching my neck with his fingers.

"Sa sala na ako maghihintay. Take your time." Iniwan niya ako sa kuwarto pagkatapos isuot ang relo.

Sumabog ang kanina ko pa pinipigilang emosyon. I haven't put my blush on yet my cheeks are red, feeling like a pair of fireballs. I sat down on the vanity chair to see myself in the mirror.

"What has gotten to you, Era? Listen, okay. It's Franco, he is your fiance. You are about to marry him shortly. There is no reason for you to feel nervous or tense when he is around. And remember what you need to do, don't fall searching for the trap." I talked to myself.

Or did I? Am I inside the trap already? Am I losing the game now?

Those thoughts frustrated me. I shook my head to clear my mind and forget everything. Bahala na.

Consoling myself with that is not a good thing because avoiding things will never really give me a solution or an answer. Pero hindi ko alam kung ano ang isasagot ko sa tanong ng sariling puso. Because if you will ask me, Do I want this? I will not say No. I don't want to lie.

Inuna kong magmake-up habang pinatutuyo ang buhok, not a good idea because my dress is hard to wear, it is fitted. Just by imagining I have to do this again for later after the performance makes me mad. Pinagpawisan ako sa pagsusuot at sa pagtunton ng hanggang ngayon ay hindi ko maabot na zipper.

"Franco," I called him. The door is open, I'm hoping he heard me.

I waited for him to respond but didn't get any so I turned my back to the mirror to try once again. Then, he came. A little but not too late.

"Did you call me?"

"Can you help me with my dress? I can't zip it." My hands are still in search behind me.

From leaning against the side of the door while folding his sleeves, he approached me and sat on the vanity chair.

I showed him my back, nervous. I am scared for my heart is failing its function to keep me alive. I am dying from the moment he gathered my hair and made me hold it so he can zip the dress without hurting me.

Fundamentals of Marriage | Suarez IOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara