Chapter 8

"Why are your eyes like that, Era? Are you a cat?"

I get that question a lot when I was a kid. I look normal from afar, but when you get near me and see my eyes, you will notice something different.

One color should rule your eyes but it's not always the case. There's a battle of blue and yellow on mine. A long time ago, diversity of beauty was impossible and those who look unique like me get backhanded compliments. I was never confident of my central heterochromia but I can't wear lenses at a young age.

Growing up, I started to receive genuine compliments. Some wish they have my eyes while few find it bizarre but beautiful. Today, beauty is diverse. From skin colors to body shapes, height, weight, hair, and body hairs. But perfectionist people still exist. One of them is my Mom.

I am trying to be as perfect as I can be. So no judgment shall be made. I don't wear lenses, it's just I don't want to ruin my engagement party with a possible comment from my mother on how I look tonight. And yet when this man beside me told me my eyes are beautiful. I believed him.

"May gusto ka bang sabihin?" He glanced at me.

My eyes focused on the road, refusing to look at him as I answer his question. "Wala."

I keep glancing at him. His words linger in my head.

"Thank you for the compliment earlier. I didn't know you can be kind at times," I brought it up.

"What compliment?" Now, he speaks like he didn't say my eyes are beautiful!

"About my eyes." I am annoyed in an instant but I did not show it on my face and voice.

"It was not a compliment. I was being honest," aniya.

Isn't that the same? Anyway, why am I making a big fuss out of it? Let's just forget.

Royale. Hotel and Casino. Bars. All of them are in his family's hands. Shareholders are also Suarezes. They don't share, wealth runs on their blood, passing from one generation to another.

The engagement party will happen there. Traditionally, it is the bride's parents that organize the party. The Suarezes took over.

I haven't been there so... let's see what they got.

We were quiet the whole time. I fought the urge to sleep or else my eyes will be puffy. I sat properly and held my purse on my thighs when I saw the colossal building with gold and teal lights that makes it noticeable even from a distance. Sigurado ako iyon na ang Royale.

The crown above the word is big enough for me not to see. The cards that speak wealth behind the name itself. This is the Legazpi's vision. To steal that crown.

"Are you ready?" Franco asked.

"We just need to lie, pretend that we are happy about this marriage, meet some businessmen and tell our names. You know, act like a puppet that we always do. I'm ready."

Franco grinned. "I underestimated your emotional strength. My bad."

Malapit na kami sa entrada ng Royale when a group of cars blocked our way like they are racing. There was a variety of it. Some, sports, sedans simply coupe.

"These assholes," Franco hissed.

"Who are those?" It feels like he knows them.

"My cousins," sagot niya. "If you stumbled upon one of them, don't feed the flirt. Specifically, Elias."

"Who's Elias."

"You will know."

He knows them. That's all I want to hear but he gave me enough confirmation. We were just conversing inside his car earlier. Minutes after, we are inside the Royale. Greeted by the gentlemen and ladies in their formal attires, we were assisted to the floor where the party will happen.