Chapter 17

My vision became blurry after stating my decision. Mrs. Trajano doesn't look surprised at all like she's already expecting me to say that. More than that, she knows how much I value my academic performance. She knows how selfish I can be to maintain my position.

"How about you, Mr. Gamboa? What is your stand here?" She diverted her eyes to the guy beside me.

My head slowly moved to look at him. He gave me a short glance before answering the professor's question. "You can grade Ms. Legazpi alone. I'll work with Ms. Roman to come up with new research."

Natigilan ang lahat sa sinabi ni Samuel. Kahit ako ay hindi iyon inasahan. My eyes rounded while reading his face and waiting for him to take back what he said.

Why would he do that when he can have a 95 as well? It made me feel worse. Knowing how different he is from me.

Of course, Era. He's not selfish as you are.

"You can't do that, Mr. Gamboa. It's not even on the choices. I'm asking you if you are willing to be graded separately or do you want me to grade you as a group? Your performance was great. I cannot let you do another research or defense."

I thought Samuel's decision will end the issue but it didn't. Mrs. Trajano seems like she has already decided what to do. Hinihintay na lang niyang sa amin iyon manggaling.

"Mr. Gamboa?"

Samuel swallowed hardly. His jaw slightly dropped. After looking at me, he glanced at Vanessa. Siya ang naipit sa gulong ginawa ko.

"If that's the case, Mrs. Trajano. You shall decide." I saw how difficult it was for Samuel to say that. He chose a safe answer and I couldn't blame him.

"Hindi ko na pahahabain ang diskusyon natin, overtime na tayo." Isinuot na ng guro ang salamin. "Congratulations to all of you who presented today. Ms. Legazpi, Mr. Gamboa, good job. I'm happy and contented with your performance."

Mrs. Trajano inhaled loudly before looking at Vanessa. "Ms. Roman, please prepare for your presentation tomorrow--actually, no. Sige, I'll give you this day and tomorrow. You will have your defense on the last day of defense."

The whole class gasped. They sounded disappointed or it might be a pity as they empathize with Vanessa. Some are a little elated that Mrs. Trajano gave her a bit more time though it will still be hard.

"You can eat your lunch now. Researchers for tomorrow, please make sure that no one will answer you are not prepared. Baka gusto niyo rin mag-individual defense," ani Mrs. Trajano. Nakatayo na siya, bitbit ang handbag sa braso.

She is intimidating that even the panelists she invited kept their mouths quiet the whole time.

Naestatwa ako sa kinatatayuan. I'm in the same position where I stood and presented my part. Walang natinag ni isa sa aming tatlo kahit pa nang makalabas na ang propesor at mga bisita.

I was blinking fast to stop my tears from falling especially when I heard Vanessa cry, blaming herself for what happened, disappointed that she wasn't able to give her best. She's hopeless, aware that one night or two will not be enough to make the research we did for months.

"Vanessa..."

Our blockmates ran to her. Pinalibutan nila ang babae upang damayan. May tumatapik ng likod niya, may nagpupunas ng luha, may nag-aalo. All of them console her with their words.

Gusto ko rin siyang puntahan pero wala akong mukha na ihaharap sa kaniya. I'm not even sure if she wants my apology. I want to say sorry so bad.

"Hush, it's okay. Tutulungan ka namin gumawa. Kaya natin 'yon, no.
Ang dami kaya natin. Kapag nagtulong-tulong tayong lahat, easy lang 'yan."