Chapter 16

Nothing much happened in the next two months except that I am busier during the third month of the school year. Palagi naman. The first two months will always be stretching and warm-up. Pagdating ng ikatlong buwan nagsisimula ang hagupit ng unang semestre.

This month marks our fifth month together. Me and Franco. Not too long after, the 365 days will be over. I don't know anything about his parent's plan but I'm happy that they are quiet. Mom too. Everything feels right. The tension between the two families is gone... or is it?

Is this a safe time to celebrate and enjoy the tranquility? Or this is the time when I should feel more fear?

Quiet action is the most dangerous one. That's what my Mom always says to me. Be an earthquake, not a hurricane. Let no one hear your steps, hide your footprints, act like you're not doing anything, and surprise them with what you have in your sleeves.

It's been a long time since I read something similar. From the book called Art of War by Sun Tzu.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Your enemy won't see it coming, like an earthquake. It's hard to predict--almost impossible. Hindi katulad ng bagyo, makapaghahanda ang kabilang panig. Makahahanap ng sisilungan, makapag-iimbak at makapag-iisip ng galaw kung paano ka labanan.

Growing up with a businesswoman around me, she shows me how important it is, to work quietly but surely. It's the most powerful one.

I won't deny, that every night I will fall asleep beside Franco, I feel this fear that one day will come and we have to give up what we are right now. Hindi ko iyon hahayaang mangyari.

"Let's play with them," aniya. "Let the puppets control the puppeteers this time. Not the other way around."

"How can we do that, Franco?"

"Are we on one team, baby? Will you be brave enough to do this with me?"

How far do we have to go? Of course, I want to. Especially that I know this feeling I have for him is more than attachment, more than comfort or infatuation. Pero ayoko rin ibagsak ang pamilya ko. At the end of the day, when the sun falls, they are still my family.

"If it will not hurt anyone, I'm on it."

Hinawakan ni Franco ang magkabila kong pisngi. "Let's do this. We will fool them. I'm gonna tell them lies about your Mother's plan and you will do the same."

"What will gonna happen if we did that?"

"If my family knew your family's plan, they won't waste a second and will make their move. Your family will do nothing different. What will happen if we lie about the information we tell them? Their actions will be put to waste, they will end up fooling themselves--that they are doing something to leap higher when in fact it doesn't help at all. Today, a player will sink at the bottom. Tomorrow, he will be on top. Walang mananalo sa kanila sa ganoong paraan."

"One will always be a step farther, Franco. Ayokong mapahamak tayo pareho."

"I know. You have to trust me. It won't work if we will doubt each other. This time, I will help your family take the lead."

"What?" Ibinaba ko ang kamay niya mula sa mga pisngi ko. "Your parents will be furious. Hindi malabong paghinalaan ka nila sa unang beses pa lang na mapatunayang hindi totoo ang mga sinasabi mo."

"I'm a CEO but I can be a good actor if needed. I will fake my rage for you. So let's turn the table, let's show them we are in a big competition when they are around, not in love. Iisipin nilang niloloko mo ako at galit ako sa 'yo. Therefore, they will do everything to take revenge. Then, you'll let my family take the lead. Do you know the seesaw? It's just a non-stop seesaw."