Chapter 12

"I can't believe he said that."

I ate my fifth strawberry for today. I have my classes today yet I'm still here at the cafe because I need to tell Ciana what happened or else I will be thinking about it the whole day.

"Me too," aniya. "I can't believe you said that for ten times now. Akala ko ba walang epekto sa 'yo 'yon at sadyang nagulat ka lang?"

Bumagal ang pagnguya ko sa pagkain para balikan kung ilang beses ko pa lang binanggit sa kaniya ang tungkol sa nangyari kahapon.

She was shaking her head while laughing when I looked so lost. She served the food to the customers after greeting them a good morning. I forgot to greet her earlier, I was excited--in a hurry to tell her something that bothers me.

"You're wrong. It's nine, just nine times. Hindi naman gaanong madami."

"Ilan ba ang madami sa 'yo? If that's about your family, you will say it twice. If your kuwento is about your studies, you will say it thrice. If it's about a good book you've read last night, you will repeat telling me the same thing five times. Nothing has ever reached nine but him," mahaba niyang sabi.

"Meron pala. When you talk about your art. So does it mean he's important as how important art is to you?" She caught me off-guard with that question.

My mind tried its best to compose an answer but no words cooperated so I gave Ciana a lazy look. Just before my feet touched the ground to leave.

"I didn't realize it's nearly nine. I have to go," nagmamadali kong sabi.

"Why are you in a hurry? May nasabi ba akong mali? O may nasabi akong tama?"

Kulang na lang ay sabihan ko siyang tumawa para mailabas niya ang pinipigilang saya.

I took my handbag and put my stuff inside, including the tumbler that contains the ginger tea she made for me.

"Thank you for the pancakes and strawberries." As if in an emergency, I stood up.

I could've been outside the cafe now if she didn't stop me with a question. "How about the money you were asking for the exhibition?"

If she didn't brought it up, I already forget it. Iyon ang rason kaya ako dumaan dito, hindi ang magkuwento. Atleast that's what I told her when I arrived here.

"Yes, I almost forgot. Can you lend me some money?" Mahina ang boses ko, nag-iingat dahil baka may makarinig. What will the media say? I'm slowly turning into a poor swan. Though there's nothing wrong with being poor.

Ciana went inside her small room where she sleeps at night. Pagkalabas niya ay may dala na siyang wallet. She asked me to go inside the room so she can give me the money. It's like we are doing something illegal here. At bawal makita ng mga tao.

"How much is this? Is it okay to take this much? May natira pa ba sa 'yo?"

"Meron pa naman. I'm sorry but I can't give you everything I have right now. Medyo matumal ang cafe nitong mga nagdaang buwan," aniya.

"Magkano ang natira?" tanong ko.

"Five thousand. Don't worry, wala naman akong ibang paggagamitan. You can pay me anytime you can."

I nodded after convincing myself that she was doing me a favor because she loves me, she supports me and I want this. A few steps away from her, my mind changed. I gave the money back to Ciana.

"Why?"

"You will need it so it's better if you keep it. Hindi ko alam kung kailan kita mababayaran. I don't even know where would I get money to pay you. Maybe I can ask Kuya or Papa," I told her. "Do you think selling bags and clothes is a good idea?" It was an out of nowhere idea that appeared in my head.