PROLOGUE

"Once upon a time, in a faraway land..."

The eyes that are begging to close after a long day are fighting the urge to fall. Arms are resting on a soft pink pillow, irises that flicker as they stare at the middle-aged man who's combing my hair, while his other hand holds a fairytale.

Now, there's nothing left to wait for but the magical story meant to be told before dreaming about fairies to come.

"A beautiful girl named Aurora was born to a king and queen.

"Fairies from all over the kingdom were invited to the celebration. They brought with them special gifts and blessed little Aurora so that she would become clever." Papa poked the tip of my nose.  "Beautiful." He caresses my cheek gently, afraid that it will make me sleep before the story could end. "And a kind girl."

"Like me?" I confidently raised my hand.

He paused to chuckle, expressing his awe. Then, he continued after a nod. "But just then, an old wicked fairy came to the palace and cursed the princess."

"Oh no, Papa. Why?" My whole system was awakened.

Papa did not answer for two reasons. He didn't know Maleficent's story and he has few English words in his pockets.

"On your sixteenth birthday you'll touch a spindle and die, she screamed in anger and vanished. Everybody was shocked. The next day, a young fairy was called to break the curse but it was impossible. Miraculously, the curse has changed."

"It did?" I asked in a tiny voice.

He nodded and smiled. "When the princess touched the spindle, she will not die but will fall into a deep sleep and will only be awakened with a kiss of a prince who loves her."

The moment the word 'prince' is mentioned, you can hypothetically tell what's gonna happen next.

"The king and queen were worried that they ordered all the spinning wheels of the kingdom to be destroyed forever. However, unknown to them, one spinning wheel was still left.

"As years went by, Aurora grew to be a lovely, charming princess. On her sixteenth birthday, she came upon a secret room at the castle tower. She wanted to help an old woman bent over a spinning wheel."

And then, the curse happened. She touched the needle, fell to the ground, and slept for many years. I lost count of how many times I asked him to read me that story.

"The whole kingdom fell asleep. Hundred years later, a handsome prince was passing through the forest and he discovered the strange kingdom. He was surprised to find the sleeping beauty and immediately fell in love with her."

My eyes drew hearts, my cheeks blushed and butterflies inside my stomach started dancing.

"He leaned down and kissed her. Instantly, the spell was lifted. The princess and all the people awoke. It was joy and celebration all around---"

"Then? Then what happened, Papa?" It was my excitement that cut him off.

He laughed again. "The prince and the princess were soon married."

"And?" tanong ko, hindi pa rin kontento sa binitawan niyang mga salita.

"And they lived happily ever after." He said the three words slowly and magically before closing the book.

Kids listen to stories, waiting for that three words on the last page.

A relief of air came out of my nose. Still, getting rid of the butterflies the story gave me, Papa caressed the back of my head.