🌱| His Ride

I've been staring at the smock piece for long as I could remember. In just about a few hours I'd thaw into the image of a Dagomba maiden specifically 'his favourite wife.'

The festivities were slated 8pm this night. 

In as much as I so wanted to dance For Tee, I just didn't know how things would turn out, I mean this is something I'd do infront of everybody, and when I say everybody I mean 'everybody'. I didn't even know how to dance let alone dance 'simpa'.

Fine, I learnt some one or two step sfor the village girls, still wasn't enough to me.

Oh, I forget to mention! Teeya smuggled me out of here to join the maidens rehearse for the dance. You should have seen me. The ambiance was just weird, I could feel malice and extreme hatred dotted all over. Initially they didn't want me around, but yours faithfully Teeya had a few vibes that changed their mind.

Three was this one girl that couldn't go unnoticed. Apparently she was the leader of the troop, and the breeder of all the top notch moves. She had a nice body figure, not not tall, not too short, her braids were well done, infact she was by far the most beautiful Kumbungu girl I'd ever seen. She was the chief of all the malice I felt. She kept throwing me wicked glances and chastising every move I made whether right or wrong. I just wish I could tell her," hey Lion King, relax I'm not carrying your Kingdom away", She was just being too extreme. This same energy of her's radiated to all the girls, she constantly rebuked them with loud shouting. Ha! Teeya herself wasn't spared

Sumi, I heard one of the girls call out to her. Found out she was called Sumaya, Sumi for short.

Hey, Mrs", Teeya announced her presence waking me up from my reverrie.

She walked with two other girls our age, and they were all dressed. They looked amazing. Teeya's smock piece drew out her femine features, and she was glowing.

"You look stunning girl", I complemented her looks and she curtsied.

I found it genuinely interesting watching the atmosphere change from the regular to the festive. Aside the young girls, squealing around, learning new songs and Simpa moves, the guys too had their own part to play. From what I saw, some were busily engrossed in preparing animal skins for drums, some too, specifically those who were fashion inclined started looking for smocks or adjusting their old ones, some on the other hand, sharpened their cutlasses and had their ambitions in good Shape, especially their locally made guns. You don't want to shot air out,Do you?

What shocked me most about the festivities was that it involved shooting of guns and massive violence. And many men went for black magic to exhibit how powerful they were.

Men had their hands cut with cutlasses and guns shot at them even worse some hand themselves burnt with fire. But Lo and Behold, nothing will happen to them and they wouldnt get hurt. I don't know why but I felt scared for Tee, what if he gets hurt? When I relayed my fears Teeya laughed and said that wasn't his first Bugum and he was royalty, no one would touch him.

Mma Memuna warned that we stay home until that part of the celebration was over. So we'd have to go for the dancing part, after the tree has been set ablaze. Oh I forgot to update you on that, the first part of the celebration had folks march together amidst singing and dancing, holding dry grass set ablaze with fire. The march leads them to a tree which is considered 'evil' and the tree that stole the prince, then they deposit the burning grass on it

During this period, Smock weavers were the hottest cake in Kumbungu, as both men and women who had been saving throughout the year, trooped in purchase. I was told, that after the celebrations, a royal award would be given to the "Smock pattern that stands out". Mostly this would be the king and his paired Queen, but subsequent years have seen random people and even visitors winning the award.

"Voila, All done ,"Teeya screamed, pushing a piece of mirror towards me.

I didn't realize I had my eyes closed throughout the dress up session, thinking about the festivities I guess.

The reflection that stood before me was priceless. Something I'd never even dream of seeing. The smock material was intricate, and endearment to my soul. Was this really me? My head was wrapped beautifully in the smock material and the strands of hair that refused to be covered laid beautifully into edges. Teeya had my lips dripping with lip gloss, and my face powdered just the right amount. My brows arranged orderly in obedience.

Teeya had my cleavage decently covered with a piece of the cloth, and the ends tapered into a cute ribbon. My chest was lined with the beaded necklaces, beads of different colour and story. Although heavy, I felt proud to have them lined up on me.

The other piece of the cloth was tied firmly around my waist in a way no matter how hard I shook I'd be fine. My waist was gorgeously alinged with some of the beads and they huge leisurely around it. Probably for the shaking effect.

Just when I thought we were done, Teeya walked up to me with another extra piece of the smock cloth, placing it on my upper right shoulder. 

"The Chief's favourite wife", She mumbled smiling in fufillment. The other girl couldn't help but clap and smile at me.

"Pagsaribila ngo a vi3lli pam", She said and I smiled back as though I understood.

I sat there amazed, thinking of how the night would go as Tee's Bugum Ride.

https://youtu.be/8bUowjvs444

History of Bugum Festival in the video section. 

Please make it a point to view❤️