🌱| Entwined with Royalty

"And that is all the gist, that's all that happened, I say in the direction of Teeya who gave me a look of disapproval. Ever since I arrived, she had followed me to tell her what happened when I was out with Timtooni.

Teeya stayed all night waiting for me. Apparently Timtooni and I both lost track of time while having our moment. So in other to make up for her lost sleep I needed to fill her in on all the details.

The day is young and we are as usual on our way to the stream. Every girl in Kumbungu at least carries a gigantic basin to the stream, but yours faithfully me does otherwise. I carry a cute little basin. Its funny, I won't lie. But I am not bothered. Most of the girls either stare rudely at me or they just mock me, but as I said, I care less.

My mind keeps drifting back with my night with Timtooni. I had such a wonderful time, I wish I could relive the moment. Surprisedly, I feel my heart warming out to him, I don't know why?

As we approach the stream, Teeya bumps into her friends and drags me along to them. I reluctantly follow. She exchanges pleasantries and introduces me to them. Our meeting with them was brief, I felt left out because of the language barrier.

Teeya what were they saying?, I curiously asked

"Hmm, this one is secondary for me oo, Heija ( Exclamation ), So apparently your little walk with Timtooni is all around Kumbungu and everyone is talking about it. Girl you are a hit oo, Chaai", She dramatically says.

I laughed out, thinking it was a small issue. But as soon as we got to the stream, the girls there gave me a deadly look, their eyes were so deadly I almost tripped. I still ignored them, maybe it's that kind thing girls have, the jealous jealous affair.

After fetching the water, we left for the house. It was quite a distance. Teeya and I just spoke about random stuff. We didn't go into that issue. Deep down I wished I could see Timtooni again, even if it was for a second.

On our way, we reached a group of elderly women with their babies sitting down and chatting.
"Dasiba (Good morning )," Teeya and I respectfully chorused.

They refused to answer, snobbing us.They threw us the same deadly look that the girls gave at the stream. Things were now vague, I was told that greeting the elderly is a virtue, trying to fit in, I even went the extra mile to learn the Dagbani greetings, that is Dasiba( Good morning ), Antiri ( Good afternoon ) and Aninwula ( Good evening) ...at least they should show me that my efforts isn't in vain by responding.

Teeya gave a worried look and motioned we should just keep walking, I felt something sinister was up, I just meekly obeyed.

Just about a few metres from where they were sitting, I tripped over a stone. While trying to maintain my balance I  fell further splashing the water over me and breaking my cute little plastic basin. The women came closer only to laugh at me and pour painful words on me.

Sheeje , Danduruwa, bipong, biyeriga
( Dagbani Insults)
A ma ni bi wumsi a vienyela, di kana ti sahim ti bihi, jahamilo ( if your mother didn't train you well, don't come here and spoil our children, Prostitute).

At this point I start to cry, the shame was just too much soon, a small crowd gathered over me, children, men, women, everyone and they were all doing one thing... laughing and mocking me.

Teeya helps me up and I am drenched with water. My hair and legs are all soiled with sand. That is less of my ordeal My mind goes back to my broken basin and I'm sure, Mma Memuna will kill me! I'm now worried over what I'll soon receive.

After a painful walk of shame, we finally arrived home. My eyes are red from both tears and water, I try hiding the broken basin from Mma Memuna but as we all know, nothing escapes her eagle eyes. She is as usual on her mat, chewing her long stick and soaki g into the morning breeze.