🌱| Bride or Collateral

The wedding day came so fast that we didnt even realize. Everything went Just us we had planned, Timtooni smuggled Teeya out of Kumbungu, at midnight and I was ready to fit into the shoes of the bride.

Teeya played her role well. She was with the elderly women and listened to their council. She had her"leefe" done and her bridal look complete.Her bridal regalia was duly arranged for the wedding.

With these processes, one would think Teeya had accepted her fate and was ready for marriage. Little did they know what was in stall.

I stayed behind and I prepared my self mind, body and soul.

Watching myself thaw into the look of Mrs. Think Twice was scary and at the same time funny. I had the leefe done too, and luckily the dress fitted perfectly. A veil was gracefully put over my face, as tradition demanded and so I wasn't scared of being busted.

Looking at the mirror, I could see a much braver and stronger me, the Dagomba Shenelle to be precise.

Teeya told me all I needed to do before the ceremony. Her first rule was that, I never come out until I here them say, "Ti Amiliya maa baani". Only God knows how many times I rehearsed my bridal lines over and I was to remain in the room, whiles the until I was summoned.

True to Teeya's prediction, every thing went as planned. I remained in the room listening to the surrounds of the joyful drums and songs of "my future inlaws".

I envisioned it to be my wedding day, with no Alhaji Think Twice, but Timtooni. I felt butterflies at the thought.

"Ti Amiliya maa baani", I finally heard the call. I expected something civil but hey it was chaotic as ever, with even more drumming and dancing. I secured the veil steadily, as though my life depended on it.

With which or whose courage I possessed, I have no idea, but hey that courage did make me proud.

I danced authentically as a true northerner, in the middle of proud, loud women, with my beads and veil following rhythmically.

In no time, I stood before a council of elders and a huge crowd to profess my love for Alhaji Think Twice. 

Although I'd never seen him, it was very hard not to notice him. He was seated in the middle of the crowd and wore a huge plain white Batakari( Smock) with a cap, sewn from the same material. He wore a wide smile, probably dazed from the appearance of his beautiful bride.

The  white smock was in sync with the colour of his beard, White. There was not even a strand of black hair around him. He had muscular arms, though old he looked as fir as ever.

He had a horse fly swat in his hands and I wont lie his appearance was feirce and it attested to all the Teeya had said.

The crowd went wild at my appearance and they kept on making sounds if how appealing I, Teeya was.

Beside, Alhaji Think Twice, was another elderly looking man. From the look of things I could tell that was Teeya's dad. They shared interesting features.

Slow but steadily, I made my way to the front of the crowd. Some prayers and rituals were performed and I was told to move towards my husband for a warm embrace.

The word "husband and "embrace didnt sink well within. It only built the rage within.

"Wumiya, Kumbungu wumiya".
(Listen up, Kumbungu, listen)

The crowd stood silenced in outmost shock.
And it was time to let it all out.

"Marriage you say?
Well let me tell you what marriage is, Marriage is a union, an agreement. Marriage is sacred and not forced, bit imposed! Marriage is solely based of both sides and not one side. Marriage is for people who have matured mind, body and soul not developing young minds.

Men!....Predators! That is what I call you and by far, that is what you are! You have no right to prey upon young innocent life's, all because society and culture has entrusted authority in your arms!

Mothers!, you should know better. But on second thought I don't blame you. I was told you were trained not to object, to accept everything like a stoic.
You equally deserve better, your voices need to be heard, your voices deserve action for it is too powerful to be shunned! Speak out! Don't be scared, you own the voice.
Speak out, as loud as you can, cry out!
let them hear. You can't watch your daughters swap their futures for gloom.
I was told in a whisper, you had the same fate! Does that mean you should watch then go down the drain as you did? You should know better.

And to my girls, my dear girls you need a guy your age,A guy who loves you for you and is willing to age with you by his side, someone who genuinely cares about you, who genuinely loves you, someone who supports you and cherishes your growth, your beauty.
You are beautiful, you are smart, you are bold, you are strong, you are and will never be a collateral!Don't Settle for less because you deserve more.
You are carved out for gold, for exploits .

Kumbungu, I have just one question,just one to ask you today.
"Do I stand here as a collateral or as a bride?"

The crowd grew quieter and quieter and I Could that all I had said scratched the raw, and worse the question I asked.

Indeed it was time to show the whole of Kumbungu, who the real Teeya was. With heavy breaths I Took of the veil.

"I am Shenelle Walker, your collateral", I said firmly throwing the veil of the ground.

Just as my fingers freed the material of the veil, I felt a hand grip them.

"I Timtooni Deeshini Andani, heir of the Naa Gbewaa throne, and only son of Naa Yakubu Andani II, Stand to reason, that girl Child marriage be abolished in the land of Kumbungu and beyond.
Girls too deserve a life, they deserve education, decent schooling. They deserve to grow and help build the nation with their various skills and abilities, and not be a liability to the nation.
Girls are precious and they are capable.
Marriage is never the way to go.

Alhaji Think Twice, I believe you expect to hear and congratulations.
Well it will interest you to note that, all that was owed my the bride's father has been paid. It awaits you at your home in Savelugu.
Since you paid no bride price to her family, you have no grip over the bride. The only grip you had was that which her father owed and that has been paid even in excess.

So I'd advice you to leave with your people, you have no business here!"

With this Alhaji Think Twice and his men, left furiously and shamefully away.
Indeed, it was a lost battle for him.

The crowd was drenched in shock. And all I could here was  a"wooi"or a "kwooi"(northern expressions) as they gradually cleared.

Soon, Timtooni and I stood all alone, beholding the empty premises.