Chapter nineteen - So, am I?

"Oh God!" I say staring at the plastic stick 

"What? Tell me, tell me!" Clara yells

"I think there is a "+"" I tell her completely shocked

"Aren't you sure?"

"Noooo I'm not!"

"Shit! Show me. Put that closer to the web-cam"

"It does look like a plus sign, doesn't it?"

"Well, it's really light but it looks like it indeed"

"OH-MON-DIEU!" I scream. "I'm pregnant? Clara? I am pregnant! Can you believe that? No, come on, that can't be true! I don't even have a delay in my periods yet. That has to be a false positive"

"It still looks positive to me, and we can't deny that you have some weird signs"

"Oh God, I am pregnant, aren't I? I'm gonna have a baby? Oh my God, aaahhh!" I scream with a big smile, completely amazed by what was happening to me

"Oooh sweety, I wish I could take you in my arms and jump around with you like 2 insane girls!"

"Fuck yeah, me too! And you know what? Even if Tom is not thrilled, I don't give a damn! I am pregnant for God's sake! I don't care what he thinks, I'm happy with the news!"

"When are you going to tell him?"

"He is in Southampton for a training camp for 3 more days. He comes home on Saturday night. I can't tell him over the phone, can't I?"

"No, that's true. Will you be able to wait?"

"Do I really have another choice? But it's gonna be awful to wait for 3 days before telling him!"

The following day, I'm seated at the kitchen bar, lost in my thoughts, staring into space. Ben is at the kitchen table just behind me, doing his homework and Debbie is cooking dinner. 

"Are you ok sweetie? You seem so lost in your thoughts today." Debbie ask me

"Oh, I'm fine. Just tired"

"I've never seen somebody yawned that many times than you did today!" Says Ben

"Whatever! I know somebody who can't keep his eyes open the days following every X-Factor shows. Guess who I am talking about"

"Ahah, very funny Val"

"No, honestly, Debbie; I just didn't have a good night of sleep last night, nothing to worry about" I reassured Debbs. She hugs me and plants a kiss on the top of my head. 

But later on, I'm in Tom's room with the door open. I see Debbie climbing the stairs carrying a clothe hamper. 

"Debbs, do you have a minute? There's something I would like to talk to you about"

"Of course darling." She sits on the bed, next to me. "Is it about why you seemed kind of strange since yesterday?"

"Actually it is, yes"

"You really can't hide anything from a Mum"

"Apparently not! So... I'm not sure I should tell you that yet, but I just can't keep it for myself any longer."

"Spit it out. And stop looking that petrified, it can't be that bad, right? you're starting to scare me!"

"Ahah, no don't worry. It's actually a good news... at least, I hope it is"

"Good. You have to tell me now, you've said too much already!"

"... OK... I'm pregnant"

"..." She doesn't say a word.

"And I know it's too soon, and that Tom has to concentrate on his diving"

"Hush, don't worry about all that. Tom is old enough to know what he has to do. He'll stay focus and determinate for the games, but I'm sure he'll be delighted to hear the news. He'll be great at taking care of you and this little one. Aawww, I can't believe it! It's great! Oh my, I'll be a Grandma! I feel old already. Come here, give me hug you!"

"But can we keep that for ourselves for now? I want to tell Tom before Ben and Will."

"Of course, that's normal. They'll understand"

"Thanks Debbs."

We were finally Saturday and tonight, Tom was coming back home! 

"Hep" I say, picking up my phone

"Hello Love. We are near Exeter right now, so I'll be home in about an hour or so" Tom tell me over the phone.

"Ok"

"But I was wondering if we had everything we need to make a fajita diner with the team?"

"You want a fajita diner tonight?"

"Yes, why not?"

"But I thought that I could spend the evening with you tonight, cause I miss you" I tell him

"Oh love, I miss you too, but we'll have the entire day tomorrow for ourselves. I'll be off"

"OOoh, Thomas...!" I grumble

"Come on, I've invited everybody already!"

"Ok, ok. And yes, we have everything to make fajitas. I'll just have to check if we have enough for the whole team"

"You rock babe!"

"Yeah, I know"

"See you in a bit. Love you"

"Love you too..."

That was so typical of Tom! I was so excited to see him and to tell him that I was pregnant (even if I was so petrified and nervous at the same time, but I wanted that out of my chest), but he had other plans in mind apparently.