Chapter 31 - Baby's name

One day, after training, we decide to go to one of Adelaide's beaches. Some divers decide to play beach volley, while I chose to just enjoy the sun and watch them play. Tom comes and sits on the sand next to me. He takes the suntan lotion off my hand and start rubbing it on my back.

"What are you thinking about Boo?" he asks me

"I know you would like to give your father’s name to our baby, but I really can’t name my daughter Roberta or Robertina or whatever, even just for her middle name. I love you deeply, but that’s not gonna happen. And I know it would have meant a lot to you. Maybe if we were having a boy, but now there’s no way."

"Ok, I understand, we both have to agree on the name. And from what you’ve told me, I know that in French it really sounds old-fashioned."

"But if it means that much to you, I’ll agree to go with Robin, if you think it’s close enough"

"Yeah, I like that and I’m sure he’ll like it too. He’d be honored."

"But it’s Chloe Robin ok, in that order?"

"Yes, absolutely. But do you agree only to please me or? Because I also want you to love the name of our daughter. It was already decided by itself with Chloe; I don’t want you to feel like you don’t have your word to say."

"Do you really think I’m the kind of person who would agree on the name of her first born only to please someone? Trust me, if I didn’t like those names, you’d know! And it’s true that we didn’t really chose Chloe, it just happened to be our baby’s name right from the beginning and I’m not questioning it. Our girl is Chloe, end of the discussion. And I think that Chloe Robin could be a nice tribute to your dad."

"Thank you. Chloe Robin Daley… I like it!"

The night before the departure for England, I start panicking, just thinking that it might get crazy again at the airport. During the entire training camp, fans were following us everywhere we went. I didn't like it but it was nothing compared to the mess we've had at the airport. I've always felt uncomfortable in crowd, but here it was worst because there was also jealousy involved. I hated when girls were asking him to say "i love you", when girls tried to touch him, to feel his abs or his tattoo... Tom was always too nice with them. 

"Tomorrow I think I’ll go to the airport by myself and we’ll meet up beyond the security gates, ok?" I tell him

"Why?"

"Because I don’t want to experiment the same craziness as last time at the airport. I’m not comfortable with all that, it scares me too much."

"Oh, come on, please don’t do that."

"Why not? It doesn't change anything for you. We’ll meet just a little bit later on."

"I know that. And quite frankly I understand that all this is annoying and that it can scare you too and also that you could save your time if you don’t accompany me but I don’t want to change our habits because of that. Those crowds follow me whenever there is something with public media coverage, like after a big competition, and then it fades away a little after a while."

"But right now it’s too terrifying. I hope it’s going to fade away a little, but I know that this won’t happen by tomorrow"

"Of course not, but it can’t stop us to live our lives like we used to. You’ll need to get used to that craziness because it is coming back regularly."

"I just hate it! I hate the fact that people are following us, scrutinizing all of our doings, taking pictures of us. And I hate even more the fact that they are so many right now, they are incredibly loud and some fans are completely insane! I know that for you it’s different. Those people adore you, and venerate you, and you want to give them the attention they deserve but for me, it’s just odd and frightening."

"Please Val, the security has been told to improve, and there will be more crowd barriers. This time, I’ll be the one holding you. I’ll hold your hand, really tightly, and I won’t let go, even when I’ll sign autographs or be taken in pictures. You’ll be safe, I promise."

"Ok, I’ll give another try. But you do understand that I’m not only scared for myself right? I’m scared for our daughter and also for you. I just don’t want anything to happen to either one of you, and we can’t ever know what can happen with crowds like that."

"I know, I know."