Chapter 30 - Kassidy's move

We are still in Adelaide and we are having a blast! We are staying in bungalows and it really feels like holidays with friends. One night, we were all resting and chilling in Tonia's and Sarah's bungalow. 

"Look what I found on my computer", says Tonia. "Old pictures from before Beijing!"

"Wow, that feels like ages ago!" Says Tom     

"Look at Tom’s face! He looks like a baby! "Jack says. "And I sincerely hope your baby won’t have the same teeth that you because they’re really weird", he adds.

"Shut up, they were not that weird" Tom says, hating to be picked on

"Not THAT weird… that says it all!" Tonia adds. "But don’t worry Val, your baby will be beautiful… with or without Tom’s teeth!"

"As long as she doesn’t get my fair skin which is apparently really funny for everyone!" I say reffering to the joke we always had during trips to sunny places because I was the only girl who couldn't tan

"But look at you next to Tom, you could be Snow White", says Chris. "What? Tom? What is that face about? You don’t need to be that upset, your teeth are fine" 

"I don’t care about my teeth Chris! Val, did you just say “as long as SHE doesn’t get your fair skin?”" Tom says

Everybody looks at me, not understanding what the issue was. But unless everyone else, I understood right away what I have just done.

"I am So so sorry Tom" I apologise. He doesn’t say a thing. He just hugs me really hard."I didn’t mean to say it, it just slipped, I’m sorry". He stays like that for a few seconds, then cups my face with his hands.

"We are having a little girl? We really are?" He asks me

"Yes, sorry sorry. I promised you not to tell you"

"Don’t be sorry, you idiot! I’m so happy to know now! I don’t care what I’ve said before. She’s going to be such a daddy’s little princess!"

I kiss him and he takes me in his arms and starts jumping up and down with me. 

For days, he couldn't stop talking about the fact that we were having a daughter. He was so proud and could already picture her being a "daddy's little girl". He said that he would play dolls with her, organize tea parties with her and so on. But sometimes, he was also getting nervous because he wasn't too sure what to except from a little girl. But I was always reassuring him because I knew how good he was with his 2 little cousins Malia and Brooke. I was 100% sure he would be an amazing Dad. 

But this trip wasn't only nice memories either. As I dread it, I finally ran into Kassidy during one of the training at the pool. Tom was sitting next to her with some other divers and they were watching the other ones still training. I have to go talk to Tom so I start walking towards them, but when I get closer, I can see that Kassidy has her hand on Tom's laps and that they are talking like it's absolutely normal. I try to keep in mind what Tom told me in the plane, that he didn't have any feelings for her anymore and that I shouldn't worry one bit; 

"Hi", I say

"Hi, I’m Kassidy, you can call me Kass, and you are Val, right?" She says

"Valentine, and yeah, I know who you are. Tom, I just have to remind you that journalists are coming at the end of the session to interview you…" I stop for a second. Kassidy still has her hands on Tom’s laps and it really is bothering me and I can’t keep it for myself anymore… "Excuse me, girl, what do you think you’re doing?"

"Val! We’ve talked about that!" Says Tom obviously embarrassed by my rudeness

"What do you mean? Oh, my hand, that’s nothing", she says before giggling.

"Well if it’s nothing for you, I’m sure you won’t mind to lay your hand elsewhere for me please? I understand, you’re friends, blab la bla, but I’m not too fond of that, you touching him like that, sorry, but not coming from you…. Okay, so Tom, I’ll be briefing the press right now in the conference room. So whenever you’re done, could you come and meet them, around 3 according to Andy?"

"Yes, sure." I leave, but he grabs my arm and gives me a look of “what was that, Val?”. He pulls me closer and lays a kiss on my lips.

But that night, as I step out of the bathroom after a shower, I see Chris peeking out of the bungalow's window.

"What’re you doing?" I ask him

"Me ? Nothing."

"Whatever, scoot over and let me see what you're looking at!" I say pushing him away. "Oh, Kassidy’s here, yeah! Oh, and she’s even stroking my boyfriend’s arm, so nice of her to be so attentive", I say ironically, moving away from the window.

"What? You’re not going to say anything?" Chris asks me

"No. I’ve already screw up earlier."

"And it doesn’t bother you to see her with Tom?"

"Of course it does! You have no idea my dear! I’m getting out of the shower and I see that Tom has been talking to his ex while she is obviously trying to charm him. Look at her! I just want to storm out and slap the hell out of that bitch! But watch me, I’m not doing anything!"

"Wow, you impress me! You look like you’re about to smash that water bottle you’re holding, but, except for that, you’re dealing with the situation pretty nicely."

I sit on the couch just next to the window and try to hear a few things. But then we hear Tom yelling “fuck off now”, so Chris and me stop talking and listen. Then we hear “Don’t talk about her like that” and so we decide to go out see what is going on

"What is going on with you guys?" Says Chris

"Oh, but there’s your little princess", says Kassidy, pointing at me

"What the fuck?" I ask

"Val, it’s nothing. You were right all along, that bitch is out of her mind"! Tom says

"I’m the one who is out of her mind?" Kassidy says.  "She’s completely crazy. She has a hold over you, Tom! She’s controlling you! Can’t you see she’s playing with you? You’re not the same anymore! She obviously got pregnant just to keep you. You’ve always said you wouldn’t fall for a girl that just wants your celebrity and money. Then that freak end up in your life and all you’ve always feared turns to reality! You’re ending up with a girl that meets none of your criteria. You’ve always said you didn’t want to be with someone who isn’t a diver or an athlete, and that you didn’t want to have kids now. Your career above everything!" yells Kassidy

"Well guess what Kassidy? You’re right, she changed me! I’m not the same. But I would hate to be the guy I used to be, the guy I was when I was with you! And you can’t say she’s playing with me, trying to trap me, because between you and me, we both know that you’re the queen at that game. You were after my supposed fame, you were calling the paps everywhere we went, you were selling our pictures. You’re the one who is crazy! Getting pregnant just to keep a guy, let me laugh! I don’t ever want you to talk about my girlfriend to my face. And if you think you still have a shot with me, you’re so wrong! You’re the one who fucked with me, you are the reason our relationship ended. It hurts me to admit it, but you broke my heart at that time, but now I’m so grateful you did. We’ll always run into each other during competitions so I don’t want things to be weird between us. You’re my friend, a friend that completely lost her mind right at this second, but still, you’re my friend. We never get along better than when we are just friends, and that’s what I want for us. I don’t’ ever want to hear you say anything about my girlfriend. Where our friendship is going is really up to you, so think about what happened today. I don’t want to lose you as my friend, but you’re trying to interfere in my personal life, it’s surely won’t work. Let’s go back inside guys", he says to Chris and me.

Tom apologised at numerous times for Kassidy's behaviour. Of course I was glad of what he told her and of the fact that he defended me. But it kind of hurt me to hear that after all she had done to him and said about me, he was still willing to forgive her. I promised him to always let him be friend with whoever he wanted to be friend with... as long as he never forces me to like one of his friend.