Chapter fourteen - Future dreams

At the end of November, it's time for the National Championship in Southend. Tom is doing really well during the prelims and semi final. Chris' competition is over and it is now time for the 10m divers to go warm up for the final. In the meantime, we decide to go grab a bite with Chris before the outset. It's been a while since we got to hang out just the 2 of us and I almost forgot how nice it was. When I'm with Chris, time always flies because it's always awesome!

The night after Tom's finale, we want to celebrate his British title with the entire gang.

"I've seen that they serve your favorite desert in the new restaurant that opened on the sea front" I tell him

"Oh, did it finally open?... But, when did you go there?" He asks me

"Earlier today when you were warming up. We went there for lunch with Chris"

"Oh... ok"

I don't realize right away that Tom didn't really appreciate what I just told him. It's only after, when I see that he doesn't really talk and looks like he's sulking. I'm guessing that he's just tired after his competition and all that. But when we go out for a drink afterwards, he loses it.

"So, did I get everybody’s order? Yes? Ok, I’ll go get us that at the bar." Said Chris

"I’ll come with you if you need", I propose

"Of course you will", said Tom with a sarcastic voice

Turning to face him because I didn’t like the way he said that: "What is that supposed to mean Tom?" I ask

"Oh come on, you know exactly what it’s about!"

"No I don’t, so please tell me because I really don’t know what is happening to you right now!

"Do you both think it is completely normal for you to go on a tete a tete lunch with your ex-boyfriend who appears to also be my best friend?"

"What? Are you out of your mind? You know there’s absolutely nothing between Chris and me! That’s never even been a real relationship"

"But he still fucked you, didn't he?" He spat at me

"Oh, you did not just say that! I’m sorry if that bothers you, but yes, Chris is my friend. So yes, we like to hang out together, and I really hope we’ll be able to do it more often because he is great and I’m having a blast when I’m with him. Yes, we had sex together, it seems like ages ago now. We all know that wasn’t the right thing to do, but you know what? I’m kind of glad I slept with him because that gave me the chance to meet all single one of you here, and that includes you Tom!"

"I just think it’s weird for you to hang out… just the 2 of you"

"But come one, Tom", said Chris. "I’m really close to Lil-V, I really like her, but we couldn’t do anything sexual together anymore! She’s more like a little sis to me. We know we like to tease each other, give each other bedroom eyes, even flirt or say sassy things but that’s how we do it. That’s our thing, that’s how our relationship is, and that honestly doesn’t mean anything else!  So please, relax! It’s so obvious Val and you are made for each other, I don’t even understand how you could ask yourself that many questions. So if you let me, I’ll go get the drinks for everybody, and yes, I would need a hand, so if you agree, I would really appreciate if Val could come and give me a hand, or anybody else that is."

"Yeah… of course", said Tom realizing that he might have over-reacted. 

I kissed Tom, asking if it was alright, he said yes. Then I left with Chris and whispered a “thank you”. When we got back with the drinks, Tom pulled me closer to him. So I sat next to him, looking at him with a look that showed that I wasn’t still too happy with how he reacted. He approached his face closer to mine and whispered “I’m sorry for acting like a knob earlier. I don’t know why I got jealous like that.” “As long as you keep in mind that there is not an ounce of ambiguity between Chris and me we’ll be good! I love you.” And we kiss again.