Chapter five - Playing like 2 kids

Since we only have 10 days left before Tom goes back to England, we want to spend as much time together as possible. Whenever he'll leave Dublin, nothing will be the same. We spend almost all of our evenings together at my place. I'm doing all I can for Clara to like Tom and vice versa. We're doing things with her, we watch TV series, we make dinner together,... But I'm asking her not to become too attached to him because I'm not sure the relationship will last when he'll leave Ireland (And of course, I'm asking her to make sure I'm not becoming too much attached to him either!). 

One night, after supper, I'm talking with Tom on the couch, but he is constantly distracted by the magazine he is reading. 

"If you can’t listen to me and read that freaking magazine at the same time, I swear i’ll throw it out of the window!" I say being serious about it.

"Yeah sure... but you won't have to, honestly, I am listening" He says

But 5 minutes later, I can see he's still distracted. I snatched the magazine out of his hands, run towards the window and throw it out of the window. We start to squabble for fun, we're wrestling, he tickles me and we run after each other like 2 kids. Clara looks at us like we escaped from a mental institution. At some point, I climb on the couch but Tom grabs my wrist. That doesn't keep me from jumping over the armrest of the sofa. We hear a loud pop in my arm. I fall down on the floor, letting out a ridiculous high-pitched shriek which makes me weirdly burst into laughter.  But I can feel a sharp stabbing pain in my shoulder and I can't move my arm. 

"Are you laughing or crying?" asks Tom, laughing with me

"Stop laughing! It hurts a lot" I say... still laughing as well

"It doesn't look like it, you're about to pee yourself!"

"I know! Stop making me laugh!"

"I'm not doing anything!" He says

"Oh Gosh, it hurts. That really hurts.... Charlie, and it's still hurting"! I say like the Youtube video we've watched earlier because I love that little boy's accent

"How am I supposed not to laugh when you act like that?! Come on, let me look at you" Tom says. He lifts my sleeve as carefully as he can. And then we see that my shoulder is really weird. My face change completely in just a second. 

"Oh fuck, Clara, I think I broke my shoulder! And I can't stop laughing, what is wrong with me?"

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have pulled you hard like that" Tom says apologizing

"No, it's me. I jumped from the couch like a total retard. Do you think it's broken?"

"No, I think it's just dislocated"

"JUST? Do you only know how bad it hurts?"

"Yes I know. It's pretty common in diving"

"Can you pop it back in?" I ask

"No! I can't do that! Are you out of your mind?"

"Why not? Don't you just have to pull my arm and it will just get itself back in?"

"No! We could make it worst if we do it ourselves"

"Then what? We need to go to the hospital?"

"Obviously. Put something under your armpit, it will be more comfortable"

We both go to the hospital with Clara. The emergency doctors were pretty surprised to see me laughing and everything with a dislocated shoulder. But as soon as they told me that they were about to return my shoulder at its normal position, I got scared and my eyes were filled with tears. I didn't wanted anyone near my shoulder!

"You can't keep your shoulder like that! We have to do something, and the sooner, the better" Tom says 

"I know, but it scares me!"

"Don't cry! You didn't even cry when you dislocated it, you can't cry now. It won't hurt as much" He says trying to reassure me.

"You don't know!"

"Well, yeah, ok, it's true, I don't know. Just hold my hand, and squeeze it as much as you can. Look  me in the eyes; don't look at what they're doing. Just keep your eyes on me".

"Ready, ma'am? On the count of three: 1,2,..." started the doctor

"No, no, wait. I'm not ready" I scream

"You have to do it, Val!" Says Tom.

"Pfff, ok, ok, I'm ready"

"1,2, 'crack'".

I screamed like a wimp. "Oh putain de bordel de merde, c'est possible ça?"

"Ahah! What does that mean?" Tom asks

"Don't worry, You'll learn that one soon enough"