Chapter eleven - A new start

Four days after breaking up over the phone, I was still having phone calls from Chris, Jack and Tonia telling me I was making a mistake, but I still didn't wanted to contact Tom, and apparently he didn't tried to contact me either. I thought that the less I heard about him would help me, and the fact that he didn't call me was a relieve in a way simply because I didn't feel strong enough to talk to him or to reject his phone call. I was on my way back from work, struggling with my umbrella because of a so typical Irish storm. But when I reach my building, I come face to face with Tom, sitting on the front door steps, under the rain. 

"Tom? What are you doing here?" I ask him

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" He asked with some puppy eyes. 

"You came over here to talk to me?"

"Yes. I don't agree with your decision. I tried to respect your choice, but from the bottom of my heart, I know it's not the right one."

"So you show up like that, without any warning? Waiting for me in the rain until I come back from work? Life is not a romantic movie, you know that right?"

"I know it's creepy, but I really do need to talk to you, and the phone wasn't an option" I wasn't too sure how I felt about finding him here in Ireland. But he was right, the least I could do was have a real discussion with him. 

"You look completely frozen. Come on in..." I say, opening the building door. Without saying a word, we step in the elevator, then get in my apartment, I make some coffee and give him some spare clothes. Finally, one of us break the silence;

"Val, listen to me. I love you; I’ve never loved anybody like that. I could die for you, do you understand that? How am I supposed to look at the girl I love and tell myself it’s time to walk away?"

"Why are you telling me that? Why do you always have to make things worse?"

"Because I won’t give up on you and I believe you also love me, right?"

"Tom…please"

"If you don’t, I swear I’ll leave right away. I won’t ever bother you again, but I have to know for sure. I can’t make you love me if you don’t, but I need to hear it from you. Say it! Say you don’t love me"

"I can’t… I can’t do that"

"Why not? Do you still love me?" He asks

"Yes, but..."

"NO! I love you, you love me. So what the fuck are you doing? Why are you so bad at being happy? You're always pushing me away! Every time you're happy, it's like you're scared that it won't last so you chose to put an end to it by yourself"

"It’s not that easy. I can’t live like that! I can’t stay with somebody who is not even living in the same country"

"Stop saying that. That’s not an excuse. Is that really the only problem? Or are you questioning your feelings? Do you have somebody else in your life?"

"Of course not!"

"But then it’s not a valid reason!"

"But it is for me! We could stay together, but then it would just delay the problem a little bit more."

"Come live in Plymouth then!"

"What?" 

"We have to stay together in order to save our relationship, so come live with me"

"What? Where? You know that you’re still living at your mom’s, right?"

"I know! I’ll find you a nice hotel close to my place"