Sorry I Couldn't Get To You

Chapter 5- Sorry I Couldn't Get to You

Alia

"I'm home," I called into the house, untying my wet hair and wrapping the pink ponytail around my wrist. The mobile in my now empty bag clinked against the glass as I dropped it on the kitchen counter. "Thank god I left the canvas and paints at the hospital it's raining like crazy!"

"Welcome to New York," Fae sashayed into the room in a tank top and cotton shorts, a smirk sneaked onto her lips as she saw me, "Oh! You're all wet!" She giggled.

"Hey!" I laughed with her, "You're dirty!"

"Only for you, babe." She walked towards me, winking.

"Really?" I giggled into her mouth. Her nose brushed against mine as she nodded. I pulled her towards me, drenching the front of her t-shirt. She leaned in to kiss me as my hands wrapped around her side. Her laugh broke the silence as I began to tickle her.

"St-stop," she breathed between her laughs. "Stop Alia, stop." She laughed louder, falling onto the floor. "Seriously stop," her voice filled with laughter.
Tears formed in the corners of her eyes as I climbed on top her, tickling her harder. I smiled when I saw her face, radiant with laughing with a hint of annoyance. Suddenly, she flipped me over. Goddamit distracted by her face again. The rings around her fingers clicked as she advanced to pin my hands above my head. I swatted her arms with my hand and giggled as she returned a swat. Soon, we were a confusion of hands, faces and giggles.

"Look, now you've made me all wet," Fae whispered into my ear. Her face blocked my view and I sighed at her beauty. She fluttered her blue eyes as the light reflected from them, making them lighter. The muscles in her neck tightened as she a chuckle left her pink lips. Her locks were spread around her exposing her high cheekbones and hard jaw line.

"I love you," I whispered before I could stop myself. Fae was on her feet in a trice, leaving me to lay there awkwardly groaning. I regretted sharing my feelings the second I said them. Why did I have to be so vulnerable? I groaned at my mistake as Fae ran her hands through her hair. She then turned on her heel and walked out the apartment door. I covered my eyes with my hands, groaning in frustration.

The ping of the elevator outside thrusted me into reality. My head swarmed as I got off my feet. It took me three steps to get to the door, another four to get to the elevator and a single step to stop the elevator door from closing.

The elevator door slid open revealing Fae, who was crouching on the floor with her head in her hands. I walked into the elevator as it shut behind me.

"I'm sorry." My voice rang between the walls of the elevator.

Fae

I can't do this. I can't look at her. I can't see the hurt in her eyes. The hurt I was causing. I can't see her lower lip quiver when she looks into my eyes. I can't see her finger shake with nervousness when she talks to me. I can't see the warmth of love in her eyes. Love for me. Love from me to her. Love I can't give her. I love her. But I can't give it to her. I can't look away from her.

I can't do this. I can't kiss her. I can't feel the passion in her kiss. The passion for me. I can't feel her tongue against mine. I can't feel her hands on my hips. I can't feel her hair blow into my face. I can't feel her teeth bite my lower lip. I can't feel her lips against my neck. I can't feel her loving breath against my ear. I can't love her, even if I want to.

I can't do this.

Is this how Rhea felt?

I can't love her.

"I'm sorry," Alia screamed as she tried to catch her breath.

Me too.