Chapter X

'let's fall in love for the night'

Ash found himself stirring a little as he opened his eyes. He was in a slightly unfamiliar setting as his eyes dialled in the surroundings. He realised they'd fallen asleep on the couch and he couldn't hide the slight smile on his face. Ray was sprawled next to him, looking so adorable and he liked having her sleep next to him.

Ray could sense some movement so she turned to face Ash. She was not a morning person.

'Is everything ok?' she asked lowkey, annoyed. She was having the best sleep ever.

Ash chuckled, 'Yeah mama, it's 5am, go back to sleep'

Ray wanted to groan, why was his voice so husky and deep? How was she meant to concentrate in these conditions?

'Hmm, shut up and let me sleep' she mumbled as she laid her head on his chest and went back to her peaceful slumber.

Ash and Ray were rudely woken up by a flash and a bunch of noises. Ash immediately woke up, nearly reaching for the pistol in between the couch before he realised it was just Fez and Lexi.

'My my my Ash, what do we have here?' Fez asked with a knowing look in his eyes

'I don't know, why don't you tell me?' Ash grumbled back

'Also what the fuck Lexi did you take a picture?' Ash asked

'You looked so cute, we really couldn't resist' Lexi told him, smiling.

'Call it family memories if you will' Fez drawled out as he took the camera from Lexi

'Shut yo asses up. How many times I hear you fucking. Don't say shit' Ash said annoyed.

'Oi don't be an ass now Ash' Fez told him pointedly and Lexi just turned red.

Ash just rolled his eyes. He looked down to Ray. He really had no idea how the fuck she was still sleeping. If they were in a shootout, her ass would be dead. He needed to make her more aware of her surroundings but that's a conversation for another time.

Ash gently bent down to wake Ray up. Ash could feel Fez and Lexi's gaze on him as they closely watched him and Ray.

'Ray wake up, wake up' he whispered as he gently shook her.

'Ash, if you don't just let me fucking sleep' Ray grumbled back as she turned her back away from him.

Ash wanted to laugh but Fez would think he had brain damage so he bit it back.

'Ma Fez and Lexi are back' Ash whispered very quietly so that Fez couldn't hear. He didn't need people to know he had gone all soft calling her baby and ma. Would so ruin his street cred.

Ray immediately sat up and she saw two strangers who she assumed were Ash's brother and girlfriend who were watching her with interest.

'Uhm hi' Ray said as she became painfully aware how messy her hair was.

'Uhm you must be Fez and Lexi...so nice to meet you...i'm just gonna leave right now' she mumbled as she slowly backtracked her way to Ash's room, her face red.

Fez laughed at how cute she was, it was clear the young girl was embarrassed. She seemed nice but he would need to get to know her better before he let his guard slip. He knew Ash never let anyone in, so if he let her, it meant she cleared all the checks. But Fez would have to see for himself, Ash was his little brother and he'd be damned if anything happened to him.

'She's pretty, you did well' Lexi said to Ash

'Thank you Lex' Ash said as he walked back to his room

Ray was panicking. She just met Ash's family, looking like a racoon. And why the fuck was she so awkward?? Oh my god. She kept pacing around the room. I mean it shouldn't matter right? Her and Ash were just friends, so why was she so bothered by what his family thought of her?

She ignored the little voice in her head that said, 'it's cause you like him'.

Ray was so preoccupied with her thoughts, she hadn't noticed Ash enter the room, watching her with an amused expression.

'You ok? If you think anymore, I think your brain might just explode ma' Ash told her as he beckoned her to come over to him.

She sat next to him and said 'That was so embarrassing' as she buried her head into his pillow.

'Nah it was cool, they think you're cute and listen they were gonna find out eventually. So why not now?' Ash reasoned

'Yeah you're right, it just felt slightly embarrassing meeting them when I was barely awake with my bird nest hair' Ray said as she shook her head.

'Yeah your hair does look pretty bad mama' Ash said with a slight laugh

Ray just swatted his shoulder before checking the time. She felt her heart drop. It was 10 am, her dad would definitely be awake. What if he was awake last night and knows that she didn't come home? She started to think of lies she should say but she knew she was fucked.

Ash could sense the change in atmosphere as Ray's face was filled with worry.

'What's wrong baby?' he asked her

She shook her head, 'it's just I don't know if my dad didn't realise that I wasn't home last night' she told him 'but it's ok, I'm sure it'll be fine'

Ash didn't believe her one bit. 'You want to shower and I'll drop you off after?' Ash asked her, motioning to his bathroom.

'Yeah ok' Ray mumbled before going to shower. She looked at his products and she hated to admit it, she could tell which shower gel he's been using lately just by the smell.

Ray got out of the shower and outside the shower was a fresh towel and a set of clothes. She put on the hoodie and sweatpants. The hoodie smelt of Ash and she couldn't help the smile that graced her face. It just felt so warm and safe.

Ash had also showered and the two of them headed to the door to leave.

'Bye guys' Ash shouted

Lexi's head popped out of Fez's room, 'You guys don't want any breakfast? I can make some pancakes real quick?'

'That sounds really good Lexi but my dad will kill me if I don't get back home asap. Next time?' Ray said.

Lexi nodded understandingly, 'Of course'.

'I would love some pancakes when I come back though. Thank you Lex' Ash told her.

The drive to Ray's place was a little quiet but Ash could tell she was tense.

'It'll be fine ma, don't stress too much' Ash told her. 'Do you want me to drop you inside? I don't mind speaking to your dad'

Ray shook her head, she knew what Ash meant by 'speak' to her dad and it definitely did not mean speaking.

Ash pulled up to her house before opening the door for her. Ray thought it was very sweet of him, he's never let her open a single door since she's known him. It's the little things sometimes.

Everything in Ash's gut told him he should not send Ray back into that house alone but she was adamant. And as much as it pissed him off, he knew he had to respect her stupid decision.

'You sure baby' Ash asked for the final time as he brushed a few curls away from her face.

'Yeah baby' she whispered.

He hugged her, basking in her warmth before planting a kiss on her forehead.

'If anything, you call me straight away ok?' Ash told her, his tone harsh.

She nodded as she made her way to her house and Ash drove away. 

A/N : Slightly short chapter but if I get time I'll update again later today